Interior Oil gauge advice needed

Interior Oil gauge advice needed

totalpackage

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
81 and 79 CJ 5, (sold) , 83 CJ 7 Laredo current
Was looking to install an original oil pressure gauge back into my recently new purchased 83 CJ7 with the 258 i6.
This Sunpro brand was installed at one time for replacement.

I was reading thru this site and saw that the original had a sending unit and this newer model was maybe mechanical?

Was hoping it was a quick replacement but guess not? Am I correct or can I just buy an old one and replace it?

Attachments

• 922D56D3-F628-4AB7-9256-82403643C6C3.jpeg
    922D56D3-F628-4AB7-9256-82403643C6C3.jpeg
    187.9 KB · Views: 6
Yes, that Sunpro gauge looks like their # CP7982. If that is the case, it is indeed a mechanical gauge, meaning it has an oil line (copper or plastic tubing) running from a fitting on the engine, through the firewall, and up to the back of the gauge. So it actually reads the pressure of the oil in that tubing connected to it. The original stock Jeep gauge was electrical (not mechanical), meaning it had a sending unit on the engine that converted the oil pressure to an electrical signal. That electrical signal was then run via a wire through the bulkhead connector on the firewall driver side and then to the back of the gauge. If your wiring is still in place and not cut or removed by a prior owner, you could install an original electrical gauge and sending unit and hook it up. Check the back of your existing gauge and confirm whether there is a tubing connected to it. Now it will also have wires for the backlight (if the prior owner connected that). So don't be confused about whether it's mechanical or electrical based on seeing some wires. Check for a tubing (1/8" NPT usually) connected at the back of the gauge.

Yes, I should have mentioned that. The tubing is there. You should be able to see it under the dash in the pic although its hard to tell from the pic if it is a copper line or tubing. So thinking more about the tubing and pressure, do you feel this is a better way or less troublesome from a maintenance standpoint?

I've never liked the mechanical gauges. I dislike running oil tubing through the firewall and up to the gauge. Eventually they always leak. I prefer an electrical gauge with a sending unit mounted directly to the engine, and then a simple wire from that to the gauge in the dash. When I purchased my Dakota Digital setup, it came with all the needed sensors (speed, temp, oil) and works with my stock fuel level sender as well. In addition, with an electrical sender unit, I am able to use the CAN bus of my engine's ECM to display warning and other diagnostic info in the main gauge cluster's display window. So if it were me, electrical works fine, no oil leaks, future flexibility, stock setup or after-market kits (like the Dakota Digital), uses stock wiring harness, easy troubleshooting if/when needed. A mechanical gauge is a "slap-it-in" Limited option IMO.

I've never liked the mechanical gauges. I dislike running oil tubing through the firewall and up to the gauge. Eventually they always leak. I prefer an electrical gauge with a sending unit mounted directly to the engine, and then a simple wire from that to the gauge in the dash. When I purchased my Dakota Digital setup, it came with all the needed sensors (speed, temp, oil) and works with my stock fuel level sender as well. In addition, with an electrical sender unit, I am able to use the CAN bus of my engine's ECM to display warning and other diagnostic info in the main gauge cluster's display window. So if it were me, electrical works fine, no oil leaks, future flexibility, stock setup or after-market kits (like the Dakota Digital), uses stock wiring harness, easy troubleshooting if/when needed. A mechanical gauge is a "slap-it-in" Limited option IMO.
I tend to disagree (not saying anything is wrong with his statement) I prefer a mechanical gauge it's more accurate and tells exactly what the engine is doing. I always have a mechanical oil pressure and temperature gauge for my Jeeps and classic cars. Even more so sense I spend a decent amount of time off road. This is a vdo mechanical gauge and the factory one side by sided0cf2e1e568f50f62b649caf07f50710.jpg

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom