No turn signals or backup lights 1975 CJ

No turn signals or backup lights 1975 CJ

tomstromie

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ5 232 3 speed
2012 GC 3.6
We were out for a ride and I noticed the turn signals stopped working. I checked further and discovered the fuses were blown for brake lights and emergency flashers.

After returning home I replaced the fuses and now the brake lights and the emergency flashers work, but still no turn signals. I replaced the turn signal relay - no luck. It does appear that I have power going to the relay.

And that's when I discovered the back up lights not working. They were working a month ago.

The Jeep is set up for being towed by another vehicle. I used the bypass and hooked up my 2012 GC to it and the turn signals work perfectly.

I replaced all of the fuses in my fuse block - still no turn signals. I've attached a photo of the fuse block.

Where do I go from here?

It could be a bad turn signal flasher, have you replaced it? Since you did not mention that. I would suggest a heavy duty one.

I did replace the flasher - I called it the relay. Sorry for the confusion. I really don't understand why it seems like I have no power going to the turn signals. None of them.

Then I would suggest tracing down your electrical system and finding why it doesn't work.

did the fuses blow again? If so you may have a short. Check the wiring where the lights are connected up to the tow vehicle. Thats my first guess.
If it was a bad ground it would affect all lights in the same inclosure. If your brake lights work I don't think that's it.

None of the fuses failed again - I was concerned they might. I do think the turn signal and back up lights problem is related to the blown fuses. I'm in software development and I do not believe in coincidences.

There isn't an inline fuse I'm missing is there?

How do I pull the fuse panel off so I can better check the wiring? I did try removing the two screws but it seemed to be still solidly attached to the firewall. I do think the problem is somewhere between the switch and the wires coming out of the fuse panel.

Is there a bolt in the center of a wiring harness housing on the engine side of the firewall?

-Jon

Is there a bolt in the center of a wiring harness housing on the engine side of the firewall?

-Jon
Yes it holds the inner and outer halves together.

Tomstromie, have you considered all these electrical issues could have been caused by you recent hookup with that GC?

Okay, thanks for suggesting the center bolt in the fuse panel on the engine side. I had noticed it and wondered if that would help. I hooked up the GC to it after the problem with the turn signal, the before.

I pulled off the fuse panel to find out that it has all of the electricity it needs by using my circuit tester.

I think I have it narrowed down to the flasher (which I just replaced), the turn signal switch itself, or the emergency flashers (since the turn signal wires go through this device).

Is there a way to test the turn signal using a circuit tester? My other thought is to just replace the flasher again on the chance I got a bad one. I wish I could get at the emergency flasher easier to test that with my circuit tester.

I'd much rather work on the mechanics of the CJ than the electric parts.

Update, I'm still working on the fuse panel.

I pulled out the fuse panel so I can get at the back of it because using my circuit tester I was only getting about 3 volts in the slots into which the flasher plugs and I wanted to make sure it wasn't a connection problem.

There appears to be two wires. Larger yellow wire, and a smaller red/white wire. I test each wire individually and I get 12 volts when the ignition on - flasher does not make any difference.

I then connected my circuit tester directly to the wires on the back of the fuse panel thinking this is how the flasher would be connected

Ingnition on: no voltage
Ingnition on with turn signal on: about 3 volts; does sometimes jump to 7 volts.

What does any of this mean? Am I testing it correctly?

I know the flasher is good because the emergency flasher works and it is the same type. I have tested the flashers by moving them around.

Problem solved - maybe.

I figured out how to remove the hazard switch from behind the dash and could now test this out. I had power going in, but now power going out when using the turn signals. I did when using the hazard flashers. I was able to test the wires coming from the turn switch and had nothing.

Next step was to concentrate on the wires coming from the turn signals and check them for power. I was pulling them from under the dash to get a better look at the connector and all of a sudden the turn signals started working.

I left it for a little, came back to it and tried them again. Still working. Put everything back together and they still worked. Huh.

I decided not to be Red Green, "If it's not broke you're not trying hard enough." and decided to let things be and enjoy the turn signals while they continue to work.

I learned more about the wiring of the CJ than I ever wanted to this weekend. Now it's time to take it for a ride. :)

Problem solved - maybe.

I figured out how to remove the hazard switch from behind the dash and could now test this out. I had power going in, but now power going out when using the turn signals. I did when using the hazard flashers. I was able to test the wires coming from the turn switch and had nothing.

Next step was to concentrate on the wires coming from the turn signals and check them for power. I was pulling them from under the dash to get a better look at the connector and all of a sudden the turn signals started working.

I left it for a little, came back to it and tried them again. Still working. Put everything back together and they still worked. Huh.

I decided not to be Red Green, "If it's not broke you're not trying hard enough." and decided to let things be and enjoy the turn signals while they continue to work.

I learned more about the wiring of the CJ than I ever wanted to this weekend. Now it's time to take it for a ride. :)

Something similar happened to me . There are two connectors on the column, I wiggled one of them, signals started working. I went ahead and disconnected them, blew them out with air, then applied dielectric grease. Have worked ever since....:chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks