Brakes No Brake Booster

Brakes No Brake Booster

Lazy W

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
81 CJ 8, 258, 4 speed, 2.73 Differentials, factory rear locker
This is my first post so please be patient. I’m hoping I’m in the write place.
Last weekend I purchased an image.jpg81 CJ8. Brakes are hard. Research found it was probably a problem with the booster. I don’t have one.
Did Jeep have models w/o booster?

Your 8 (BTW - Nice find) is a manual brake CJ. Power bakes was an option. To convert to power bakes all you need to do is by a booster unit, bend the brake lines to fit, but the big hassle is the bake rod is different and they are hard to find. If you are a good welder you can extend it but make sure it is well done, this is your brakes which is a critical safety system of your vehicle.

Your 8 (BTW - Nice find) is a manual brake CJ. Power bakes was an option. To convert to power bakes all you need to do is by a booster unit, bend the brake lines to fit, but the big hassle is the bake rod is different and they are hard to find. If you are a good welder you can extend it but make sure it is well done, this is your brakes which is a critical safety system of your vehicle.

Thanks. As long as I know it wasn’t removed. I don’t mind the way they are. This is an all original barn find. I want to keep it the way it was. I even have the original window sticker and this Moonlight Blue Scrambler has no cancer.

Welcome aboard from VA! Love seeing the Scramblers resurrected..... Nice find. I’ve not had to do the swap to P/B, but it seems to me I remember using a booster not from a CJ for more power, but I don’t recall which booster. Search for power brake booster swap here and it should show itself.

You get bonus points for posting a pic in your initial post, but then lost them for picking up a Scrambler and not posting more pics. There are CJ8 freaks here, so ya might want to post a couple more pics to appease the Scrambler gods... LOL

Sent from right here.......

Welcome aboard from VA! Love seeing the Scramblers resurrected..... Nice find. I’ve not had to do the swap to P/B, but it seems to me I remember using a booster not from a CJ for more power, but I don’t recall which booster. Search for power brake booster swap here and it should show itself.

You get bonus points for posting a pic in your initial post, but then lost them for picking up a Scrambler and not posting more pics. There are CJ8 freaks here, so ya might want to post a couple more pics to appease the Scrambler gods... LOL

Try that again - Your part of the post didn’t show up......

I’d be proud to. Should I post under another forum. After years of searching I feel like I hit the lottery with this find. My previous CJ was a 79 CJ 5 with the 304. It was built for the mud. I’ve been looking for a Scrambler since. AE7E6B10-650E-40B5-BCC3-F19F31685A18.jpegA5F19689-36F8-4E09-B9F6-502B2EACBC02.jpeg

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: GRR
VERY nice!! Yeah, that’s gonna make a few people jealous for sure . Restoration? Restomod? Frankenscrambler? You need to start a build thread to document your progress.......

My plans are to put this one to work as hard as I do up at my hunting camp. I’ll call her the Lazy S. My plans are to baby her in the condition she’s in. I really don’t want to change a thing.

Nice!

This is my first post so please be patient. I’m hoping I’m in the write place.
Last weekend I purchased an View attachment 7314781 CJ8. Brakes are hard. Research found it was probably a problem with the booster. I don’t have one.
Did Jeep have models w/o booster?

Just like my 1980 CJ7. You have manual brakes. You can convert to power brakes (add a booster), but really don’t need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you decide to later on down the road it's simple just find an 87-95 yj and yank the boaster and rod.

Nice find BTW where did you happen to locate it?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

If you decide to later on down the road it's simple just find an 87-95 yj and yank the boaster and rod.

Nice find BTW where did you happen to locate it?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

My wife turned me on to Facebook Marketplace. It was in Lucedale, MS about an hour and a half from my house. When he said it was an all original, I got in my truck and drove over there.

That's a killer winch on front, rebuild parts still available.

Manual brakes.
*IF* you aren't going to drive this year round, keep manual brakes.
Less to go wrong while it sits around.

People think I'm nuts, manual brakes, steering, shift, lockouts, etc.
So much less 'Rubber' to rot and go wrong (belts, hoses, diaphragms, 'O' rings, etc).
Takes a little more muscle to drive, but it's as reliable as an old tractor.
No one will mistake it for a mall crawler!

The one thing I would change, AMC20 rear differential for Dana 44.
Jeep used the wide track Dana 44 in '86, and it's worth tracking one down if you intend to go full off road.
It will swap directly into your Scrambler.
Getting rid of 2 piece axle shafts is worth the time/money if you do any real digging with the vehicle.

Last edited:
I could not agree more. Less Is more especially in the mechanical world. I have an 84 Ford 2910 tractor. My only problem is the power steering. Although I’m happy to have it.

Believe it or not the old Warn works. I’m going to hold onto it for a possible restore down the line. I’ll add a bumper with receiver front and rear for a portable winch that can be used in multiple applications.

You may want to invest in a new gasket for the MC lid. Looks like brake fluid has been making its way out and rusting everything it touches. That stuff eats through everything.

You may want to invest in a new gasket for the MC lid. Looks like brake fluid has been making its way out and rusting everything it touches. That stuff eats through everything.

I’m going to change the MC. You’re right, it’s doing more damage than 39 years of elements.

Be sure to bench bleed it before installing.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks