New Tilt Column Is In

New Tilt Column Is In

TSB8C

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7, 420 HP "ZZ6 EFI" Crate engine, 700R4, D300, Dana30 front, Dana489 rear, 4.56 gears, 4" lift
So a few months back I installed a push button and remote start system in my '84 CJ7. Since then I have wanted to get rid of the ignition lock on the column since it was no longer used. In addition, my column was starting to sound scratchy (bearings inside I'm sure) and I also wanted tilt. My column also had an area on the top where someone in years past before I got it seems to have tried to steal it by cracking and chipping away some of the plastic in the collar to get inside the column. So damage, no tilt, audible signs of wear, and a useless ignition lock all made me want a new column.

I searched high and low for the right replacement (Ididit, Flaming River, etc) with no success. Their options were either generic replacements (bottom output shaft was different, not the same length, different mounting requiring adaptors, etc) and quite pricey to boot. I finally stumbled across a place in NY called Columns Galore. I contacted them and they offered to rebuild an original CJ tilt column with a different upper collar that had no ignition lock. This was perfect. Stock column with proper splines and "divet" on the output shaft, correct stock length, bolt right in with existing mounts, tilt, no ignition lock, and steering wheel lock mechanism already removed (since no key and for easier flat towing).

Box.jpg
Credit card over the phone and took about a week or so and they shipped my column. I also ordered a new Omix firewall gasket from Amazon to be prepared. Once I started this install this morning, it took all of about 3 hours from start to finish. A few minor differences from my original. The lower collar length is a bit shorter, so some space between the base of the lower collar and the dash hole cover. This is because they used a different lower collar that had no slot or hole for the key release lever. Also a difference in the internal lock ring (that would have engaged the steering wheel locking "plunger") such that I couldn't retain the plastic dust cover that snaps onto the lock ring. But with my Grant steering wheel and the adaptor, hopefully a non-issue.

The new column came with a new blinker switch, horn connector disk, new lower bearing cup assembly, and steering wheel retainer nut. I had to re-use my turn signal lever, hazard button, and horn connector wire (they provided the tilt lever). I found that the new blinker switch in their column had some extra plastic in the slot where the turn signal lever mounts. I had to use a small file to slightly enlarge the outer edge of the slot for the lever to fit correctly. None of these are big issues or show-stoppers.

Third_Collar.jpg Coupler.jpg Mounted.jpg
So now a tilt column that turns nice and smooth and no more unused ignition lock or key release lever. Overall quite happy with it.

Done_3.jpg Done_2.jpg Done_1.jpg

Thats pretty cool, that will definitely get a potential thief scratching his head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks