New jeeper w/1985 CJ7

New jeeper w/1985 CJ7

okobojo

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 Jeep CJ7 4.2L - bone stock
Hello all. Thank you for the wonderful resource. I just bought my first, proper, Jeep and I'm here to learn more about it. Last Thursday I bought an 85 CJ7 with, what was portrayed to me as very low miles. I believe it's the base model and It's showing 43,400 on the odo. Yes, I know odds are pretty good that's it's actually 143K, but, I bought it with that knowledge. In the spring I will pull the heads and evaluate the cylinder wear to determine the truth. Perhaps you guys could suggest a quicker way to tell?

It's clearly a street queen and appears to be an all stock 4.2L. The closest things I can find to modifications are a toggle switch on the dash, a 4 square wiring plug in the engine compartment near the grill and the fact that they hooked up the high altitude wire to the battery ground (I'm at 1000' so I'll be taking that off). The toggle turns off the headlights to I'm guessing it turned on some other lights that may have been hooked to that 4 square plug. The story I got from the PO is that he bought it 5 years ago from an apple farm where it had been used, since new, by the supervisor to oversee the operations on the farm. It does have rust. The PO explained that by saying they kept it in a barn which must have had a wet floor.

I did a rust inspection and yes, the frame is rusty. I don't feel like I am qualified to evaluate the strength of the frame but I can't push any holes into it with my fingers. I'm a pretty good welder and I plan to weld gussets and braces on it in the spring. I haven't seen any threads on where and how to do that but I'm sure you guys have them if I look hard enough. The body does have bubbles over the rear wheels and I could probably push my fingers through, there, if I tried hard enough. The rockers and rear corners are covered by diamond plate.

The PO had receipts for the service work he did when he bought it five years previous, which included radiator, alternator, all fluids as well as new rotors and calipers. After that it sat in his garage most of the time until I bought it. He said he used for an occasional trip to work and to pull his little trailer to the dump a few times a year. Mileage on the receipts confirms this. He had the oil changed every spring with the exception of 2015 so it had 1.5 year old oil in it when I bought it. I'm a bit concerned about this, especially since it had a faint smell of gas. I ran a magnet through the old oil and it came up clean. It doesn't seem to be thinned out noticeably, either. I thought maybe the carb was rich but the plugs are a little on the white side so that seems unlikely. I will check compression in the next few weeks.

I plan to keep it at my cabin up north where there are miles of muddy trails and roads that don't get plowed all winter. I bought an old hardtop and some hard doors for it and tried to put them on Friday. I was unable to get the doors to fit and couldn't get the screws loose on the hinges (stripped a couple out trying) so I temporarily put the soft doors on it with the hardtop. There must be a benchmark measurement to set the windshield angle before attempting to mount top and doors?

Friday after work I changed the oil with 5w30 and drove it 200 miles to the cabin. The trip was uneventful. I held 70 without issue and got 16.7 mpg. It tracks straight. When I arrived, there was a slight smell of gas in the oil and I think the level might have been a bit higher than when I left but I wouldn't swear by it. This could have a lot to do with how hot it was or how long I waited for it to drip down before I checked.

The gas in the oil and the rust are, or course, my main concerns at this point. I'm hoping there's a stuck ring or valve and it might fix itself with use. I might change the oil again soon and use some Motor Medic before I dump it. Any other ideas would be welcome. I will be dropping the pan and putting in a new (high volume?) oil pump since pressure drops to 0 at warm idle and I'm only showing 30lbs at speed. I know a lot of people would say to check the gauge first but I want to drop the pan to do an inspection, anyway. In the meantime, there is no discernible lifter noise, or any other noises that I am worried about.

I took the wife out mudding in the rain Saturday morning and we had a blast! One issue, though minor to me :), was that water kept pouring in on her shins from the dash/glovebox area. I assume this is the seal at the base of the windshield and I'll be looking at that next weekend when we return to the cabin. There was a thread that some people said use a new rubber seal, some said use black Permatex and some said clear silicone. I'm not sure what to use but I can get a caulk tube of black Permatex for $14 so I'm thinking about using that. Silicone would be even cheaper, of course.

One other issue we had was a bit of coughing and snorting while torquing it at low RPMs. I am guessing this is due to the much hated Carter carb. A few years ago I rebuilt an Autolite 4100 in an old Tbird and I've read that some guys are running Motorcraft 2100's. That's the same carb (less two barrels) and since I already know and like the 4100 I would like to learn more about doing that swap. The old threads about it say you need an adapter and linkage but the links are always outdated so I haven't been able to find the parts yet.

I'm also wondering about the vacuum lines and how the carb swap would affect them. I would like to dump them all if I could. I hate these antiquated vacuum systems. 25 years ago I had an 86 XJ (2.8L V6) that wouldn't run in the rain due to leaky vacuum system. I tinkered with that damn thing for 6 months before I gave up and dumped it. I haven't owned a Jeep since. How much of this vacuum system do I need to keep? I bought a round plastic vacuum canister on Amazon to replace the coffee can (mine has no bottom half) under the battery. Hopefully that'll help a bit when it arrives.

I plan to pull the lock cylinders on the hard doors tomorrow night to have them rekeyed. I searched around a bit and found a few references to a thread that was supposed to be a sticky in the Chassis and Body area but I can seem to find it. I read that it had pictures and more details on how to do this? I can probably figure it out but have had a few surprises when working with locks in the past so I thought I'd read up on it first. I'd like the liftgate key to match the door key but I doubt that's possible.

So, there are a handful of questions in my little introduction above, but, here's my main question….I'm planning to have fun in this sucker all winter and possibly even into the summer next year before I start working on the frame. Is there an easy way to tell if that's a bad idea? If it fails, I assume it will be on a washboard road at 10mph and not on a smooth highway. If that's the case, and nobody gets hurt, it wouldn't be the worst thing since I will very likely be within 20 miles of the cabin where I'll have a truck and trailer waiting to bring the carcass home. Does anybody have a guess how things will go down if the frame does fail?

Thanks!
okobojo

I think your first concern would be gas in the oil. Gas can enter the oil system through a worn fuel pump or with a very rich mixture thru worn piston rings. Running 5w-30 is pretty thin for a basic tractor engine which is what the 258 is. That might be good for a new engine at your latitude, but with an older engine you might want to bump that weight up a bit to at least a 10w-30. Make sure that was water that came out from under the dash and not coolant as it can come from a bad heater element. It sounds like your rig is quite original and you have an interest in getting it into good shape, welcome to the forum.

WELCOME :chug:
What T'head sez about the leak'n fuel pump is 100% 'rite'.
How cold does it get at your cabin-5W-30 is a bit thin for those old tractor engines.
X2 about the coolant lines.
See about get'n a copy of the AMC factory service manual MR-252.
Worth it's weight in GOLD-
'84-'86 Jeep Service Manual (Body/Chassis) ? CBJeep

LG

What Torx and LG said.

The frame? If you suspect that there is enough rust damage to have to ask our opinions, I would say that discretion is the better part of valor. Don't take unnecessary chances. To have a frame let go is not a pleasant experience. You never know which way the vehicle will go.:eek:

I run some of the Northern Wisconsin fire lanes, and would hate to loose control even at 10 MPH with a big ol' oak tree in my path!

I think your first concern would be gas in the oil. Gas can enter the oil system through a worn fuel pump or with a very rich mixture thru worn piston rings. Running 5w-30 is pretty thin for a basic tractor engine which is what the 258 is. That might be good for a new engine at your latitude, but with an older engine you might want to bump that weight up a bit to at least a 10w-30. Make sure that was water that came out from under the dash and not coolant as it can come from a bad heater element. It sounds like your rig is quite original and you have an interest in getting it into good shape, welcome to the forum.
Hey torx, thanks for the reply. Had to create a new username and use tapatalk in order to login. Very frustrating. You're right about the weight of the oil, I actually used 10w 30. That's what I decided to run for the winter. Don't know why I wrote 5w. Just a brain fart.

I bought a new fuel pump and plan to install it tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

The white plugs say the mixture is lean so I doubt it's the carb. I'm going to pull the high altitude wire and install the Teamrush mod with new plugs this weekend as well. I'll be watching the new plugs too see if the mixture looks correct.

I ran a Carfax and the apple farm story seems to be holding up. It was first titled in Plattville WI in 1996 then sold in 2000 with 18,000 miles.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

WELCOME :chug:
What T'head sez about the leak'n fuel pump is 100% 'rite'.
How cold does it get at your cabin-5W-30 is a bit thin for those old tractor engines.
X2 about the coolant lines.
See about get'n a copy of the AMC factory service manual MR-252.
Worth it's weight in GOLD-
'84-'86 Jeep Service Manual (Body/Chassis) ? CBJeep

LG
Thanks for the welcome LG. It does get very cold at the cabin, and the jeep may sit for a month between starts sometimes, but no, I wouldn't run 5w oil in it. I said that by mistake. I'm running 10w 30 for my winter oil.

The fluid was water. I'd have known by smell and my wife would have known by temp if it wasn't. I calked her up with black silicone. I'll know if it worked next time I drive it in the rain.

Still adjusting hard doors for fit. Hope to get them tight this weekend.

Putting in a 195* thermostat this weekend, too. Is that what most of you guys are running?

Oh, and I ordered the Jeep service manual. Chilton one has been a disappointment. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:
What Torx and LG said.

The frame? If you suspect that there is enough rust damage to have to ask our opinions, I would say that discretion is the better part of valor. Don't take unnecessary chances. To have a frame let go is not a pleasant experience. You never know which way the vehicle will go.:eek:

I run some of the Northern Wisconsin fire lanes, and would hate to loose control even at 10 MPH with a big ol' oak tree in my path!
Hey bass, where in Wisconsin? My only reason to ask about frame failure is the bad reputation of this frame. The more I read the more I think I want to have somebody else look at it. It looked sound on my initial inspection or I wouldn't be driving it. There's a place in Madison that says they drill holes to evaluate a frame. Does that sound right?

Hey bass, where in Wisconsin? My only reason to ask about frame failure is the bad reputation of this frame. The more I read the more I think I want to have somebody else look at it. It looked sound on my initial inspection or I wouldn't be driving it. There's a place in Madison that says they drill holes to evaluate a frame. Does that sound right?

Pretty close to you, I hail from Eagle. I have heard of drilling holes to evaluate a frame, but I never much cared for that method. If the frame is already in compromised condition, to me, removing more metal seems counter productive. I usually get underneath, or just take the body off and start hitting the frame with the pointed end of a chipping hammer. If the frame can be dented by the chipping hammer, the metal is in pretty bad shape and needs to be sectioned. If the hammer goes through the metal, :eek: you have serious problems! If the metal doesn't yield, it is usually in good shape. Using this method, even the sound of your impacts is an indicator of metal integrity.

Cursory frame inspection by a Jeep builder with 20 years experience went well. He said it looks solid in all the places they usually go soft. I've got some sloppy body mounts on the body side to work on but they can wait till spring.

Question about Ford distributor cap adaptor: I used the Auto zone part number given by jeep jeephammer and there's a 1/4" gap at one spot on the base. It doesnt appear to be the result of a sloppy install as it fits well, it appears to be a section at the bottom of the adaptor designed to pass wires I don't have. Seems like a little splash would foul the distributor so I can't leave it like that but I can't seem to find any references to it on the forum. Anybody else have that? What do you do about it?

Question about Ford distributor cap adaptor: I used the Auto zone part number given by jeep jeephammer and there's a 1/4" gap at one spot on the base. It doesnt appear to be the result of a sloppy install as it fits well, it appears to be a section at the bottom of the adaptor designed to pass wires I don't have. Seems like a little splash would foul the distributor so I can't leave it like that but I can't seem to find any references to it on the forum. Anybody else have that? What do you do about it?

I'll have to look at mine. I've been running the Ford Dizzy for years now but cant recall the gap you are referring to. If by chance mine has that gap, it's never been an issue with moisture.

I'll have to look at mine. I've been running the Ford Dizzy for years now but cant recall the gap you are referring to. If by chance mine has that gap, it's never been an issue with moisture.

I know the gap you're referring to. Just can't remember if it's where the rubber grommet goes that the wires go through, or if it's an index gap that's supposed to line up with a tab on the distributor body. I'll look at mine in the morning and figure it out and post the results if you don't beat me to it.

I know the gap you're referring to. Just can't remember if it's where the rubber grommet goes that the wires go through, or if it's an index gap that's supposed to line up with a tab on the distributor body. I'll look at mine in the morning and figure it out and post the results if you don't beat me to it.
Thanks for any help you can offer. Couldn't find any info on it in other references to teamrush so I'm confused.

I think I do recall a reference about that gap by JH and he suggested some silicone caulk to fill it. Most guys don't use their Jeeps a submarines anyway and just leave it alone. Now that you mention it i'll go look at mine.

I think I do recall a reference about that gap by JH and he suggested some silicone caulk to fill it. Most guys don't use their Jeeps a submarines anyway and just leave it alone. Now that you mention it i'll go look at mine.
I think he said to use dielectric grease but I've got a 1/4" gap so I wouldn't trust grease to seal it. I'll use permatex. I guess if everybody else has the same gap I shouldn't be concerned but we do go thru some puddles up here in the winter. Not over the rockers but up to the base of the bumpers isn't unusual.

Well, i'm pretty sure it was sort silicone caulk or adhesive for sealing that cap, that Permetex could be a good choice though. Much of that old JH stuff can be found in the archives of Jeep Forum or Jeeps Unlimited.

Cursory frame inspection by a Jeep builder with 20 years experience went well. He said it looks solid in all the places they usually go soft. I've got some sloppy body mounts on the body side to work on but they can wait till spring.

I'm betting that is where the tab the screws in to the base of the distributor fits into the adapter. This keeps it from rotating, which moves the upper cap and changes the timing.

Make sure that was water that came out from under the dash and not coolant as it can come from a bad heater element.

I've only had a couple opportunities to test my silicone sealing of the windshield and it failed miserably both times. I've got a ton of silicone all over both sides of the rubber seal and yet it still drips into the passenger floorboards at the same rate it did before.

I took the cowling grill off to see what was going on in there. I cleared a couple leaves out of the drain but not enough to obstruct water. It looks like if you have the vent open rain can just poor into the heating ducts?! Is it possible that's what's been happening all along? I've always had the vent open.

Temps will likely remain below freezing for a long time so I won't be able to test.

It is possible your leak is coming from the vent. When it gets warmer for you check by pouring water in your vent and watching where it goes. There is a hose that drains the vent area, it's a flimsy thing that exits the fire wall somewhere under the battery (passenger side). Mine tends to collapse and honestly I don't know if water flows or not. I live in Arizona and haven't checked when it does rain. I should pour some water in mine to see where it goes.

I think your first concern would be gas in the oil. Gas can enter the oil system through a worn fuel pump or with a very rich mixture thru worn piston rings.

Hey Torx, I just wanted to say thanks for the tip about the fuel pump. I replaced it and changed the oil. Now, a month later, there is no gas smell in the oil. I would have been looking into a lot more involved solutions if it weren't for your tip. Thank you.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks