New headlights for CJ5

New headlights for CJ5

cursedsoul

Jeeper
Thanks
We are considering changing the headlamps of our CJ5. Should we retain the classic look and go with the 80's kinda lights or get some cool flashy ones? Also, I'd appreciate info on changing the lights myself.

We are considering changing the headlamps of our CJ5. Should we retain the classic look and go with the 80's kinda lights or get some cool flashy ones? Also, I'd appreciate info on changing the lights myself.
Hmm... I still say 'real Jeeps have round headlamps' :D

I'm a classic kinda guy...

Now, I did update my CJ with round lamps with replaceable bulbs. They aren't quite legal but I haven't had any problems with Johhny L.

A real good upgrade is to run the headlights on a relay system (write-ups are all over the 'net) so they get full voltage when lit. That, combined with a lamp upgrade, will keep the classic look and the brightest lights possible (for cheap)

Keep it classy. Go with the round headlights. Nothing wrong with updates, but I've just always favored the originals.

we need to get jeephammer on this site. that dude knows everything. everything i have done under the hood has come from him.

I recommend upgraded to an HID system. By that I don't mean getting some HID bulb converters and a cheap HID kit, that will give a small light upgrade and cause lots of strain on on-coming traffic.

I am talking about a projection system (much like what you see in BMW's) It gives a modern but not gawdy (sp) look. It is quite easy to find projection headlamps and convert them to HID, or even modify hallogen lamps with projectors from other auto's (ebay to find those).

I actually a lighting junkie and do this kinda stuff for fun, so I can offer alot of help. Takes a bit of time, but for a few hundred bucks you can have some of the best light output and a clean modern look.

I also recommend upgrading all other lamps to L.E.D. but thats much more complicated. :D

Welcome to the forums NismoZ39! :chug: Thanks for joining our new site!

HID is the way to go all right. You can't beat the light output! For anyone doing this, just be sure you check the legalities of a HID conversion in your area. Don't want to get busted for it if it's illegal.

As for LED's, your correct - they are great and I'm going to all LED marker, stop and tail lamps on my CJ rebuild...

Are you doing the LED conversion yourself? I actually built a sequential setup for my Z's turn signals. LED conversion has been a blast for me, pretty much any place I can stick them they are there! :D

All modification of headlights is not "legal" per say, nor is the addition of an HID kit. But I have done many conversions for local people and never heard of any trouble.

Its when you do the conversion the wrong way, and blind oncomming traffic that the police are going to give you a hard time.

I would like to do a HID conversion like Nismo said but retain the classic look when they are off.
Nismo do you know of any low output LED replacement lights for Autometer gages?

I would like to do a HID conversion like Nismo said but retain the classic look when they are off.
Nismo do you know of any low output LED replacement lights for Autometer gages?

Unless you can find a reflector replacement light that is setup for HID's you would have to go with a projector setup. Some look very close to factory but not 100%. The projector is really the only way to run HID's with out blinding people. Also you get WAY more usable light on the road.

Are you talking about the LED's them self or a full kit? there are many sites to buy LED's from. First you have to determine which kind they use, usually smd. A site that i can think of off the top of my head is:

Electronic Components from the Best - Future Electronics

Going to LED brake/TURN lights sometimes requires switching to an electronic flasher. The mechanical flashers need a certain amperage to heat enogh to open and close. LED's use alot less amperage to operate. The electronic just use an input to tell them to flash, and a chip takes care of timing. I don't know if you need to on CJ's, but I have had to use them before. You can pick them up at any parts store for about $10 and just cross reference from the stock one.

Going to LED brake/TURN lights sometimes requires switching to an electronic flasher. The mechanical flashers need a certain amperage to heat enogh to open and close. LED's use alot less amperage to operate. The electronic just use an input to tell them to flash, and a chip takes care of timing. I don't know if you need to on CJ's, but I have had to use them before. You can pick them up at any parts store for about $10 and just cross reference from the stock one.

Load resistors work as well, tho the electronic flasher is ideal.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks