Misc. New Guy Here...

Misc. New Guy Here...

CobraGT40

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ-7 Renegade w/ 258ci and T-176
Hi all ! Two summers ago I purchased my first Jeep (Always wanted one, I learned to drive on a 70s CJ5). The girlfriend thought a Jeep would be cool so we could drive around on hot days in our swimsuits...So I immediately began searching for one. After a 2 month search, I actually found one right up the street. I got a 1980 CJ7 with 46,000 original miles and from the original owner (technically...he sold it to his little brother, who drove it through the salt for 8 years and bought it back from him). It sat in a garage for about 15 years when he said life got in the way...wife, house, kids etc.
My CJ7 was originally an OH Navy Blue with light blue high back seats/dash pad and white hard top, 258c.i. with T176 4-spd, 300 T-case and AMC20 rear end. The original owner's little brother changed the interior to light gray and cheap gray rhino lining of the tub,and gray wagon wheels. Someone asked me if I was a Cowboys fan and after that I just couldn't un-see it. I picked up a set of Laredo wheels and new tires, installed black seats and dropped in a Navy Blue rubber mat for the floor.
It runs great, but has a lot of blow-by since a couple cylinders have poor compression...a bit of rust in the cylinder walls from sitting 15 years and wasn't stored properly. Other than that, runs great and we have a lot of fun with it. Once we move in a couple years and I can have a pole barn, I plan to do a frame off restoration.
Sorry, that was a little long winded... Looking forward to using this forum

Hi all ! Two summers ago I purchased my first Jeep (Always wanted one, I learned to drive on a 70s CJ5). The girlfriend thought a Jeep would be cool so we could drive around on hot days in our swimsuits...So I immediately began searching for one. After a 2 month search, I actually found one right up the street. I got a 1980 CJ7 with 46,000 original miles and from the original owner (technically...he sold it to his little brother, who drove it through the salt for 8 years and bought it back from him). It sat in a garage for about 15 years when he said life got in the way...wife, house, kids etc.
My CJ7 was originally an OH Navy Blue with light blue high back seats/dash pad and white hard top, 258c.i. with T176 4-spd, 300 T-case and AMC20 rear end. The original owner's little brother changed the interior to light gray and cheap gray rhino lining of the tub,and gray wagon wheels. Someone asked me if I was a Cowboys fan and after that I just couldn't un-see it. I picked up a set of Laredo wheels and new tires, installed black seats and dropped in a Navy Blue rubber mat for the floor.
It runs great, but has a lot of blow-by since a couple cylinders have poor compression...a bit of rust in the cylinder walls from sitting 15 years and wasn't stored properly. Other than that, runs great and we have a lot of fun with it. Once we move in a couple years and I can have a pole barn, I plan to do a frame off restoration.

Attachments

• 49613418_10156907026367236_4088381400581931008_o.jpg
    49613418_10156907026367236_4088381400581931008_o.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 61248104_10157257561797236_4950139882417684480_o.jpg
    61248104_10157257561797236_4950139882417684480_o.jpg
    477.6 KB · Views: 26
Very nice rig. Welcome.

Definitely nice rig, you might be able
To still Find some good running 4.0s and swap one in and have a really nice ride

Dump a bottle of engine honey in the oil, it'll help rejuvenate the seals, etc.
So you can drive it for awhile before needing to do any work to the engine.
https://www.amazon.com/Motor-Honey-C162-12-Premium-Treatment/dp/B000FW4LSK/

You can buy a 4.2 long block fairly cheap, drop a 4.0 head on it and have a kick as jeep for not alot of money.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks