New CJ-7 suspension advice

New CJ-7 suspension advice

uttlc

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7 w/1994 4.0HO
I picked up an 85 CJ7 a little while back and the PO had really no idea what the specs were on it, aside from the 94 4.0 that was in it. I'm trying to figure out some things with the suspension and thought I could get some help here. It has con-ferr shackles all around which are 6.5" from bolt to bolt. I understand that means its got a 1.75" lift from those. As part of upgrading and replacing old parts, I was thinking about pulling all that out and going with a 2.5" lift, something big enough to run 33x12.5s but not get too far away from the stock look. Is there any reason to go with a full lift kit versus replacing springs, shocks, bushings etc and leave it with the shackles? I don't envision any heavy duty off road, the nastiest would likely be on deer lease roads in the Texas Hill Country, which can be a bit rocky, but nothing my stock F150 can't handle. A few pics attached to see how it looks now.

Attachments

• Jeep Front.jpg
    Jeep Front.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Jeep Rear.jpg
    Jeep Rear.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Jeep Side.jpg
    Jeep Side.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 30
Just had another thought. I plan on flat towing this every so often and was considering the Currie tow bar shackles. Looks like this adds about 3/4" of lift taking a 2.5" lift to just over 3". I'm guessing that would give me plenty of room to clear 33s. Any thoughts on the tow shackles as opposed to mounting to tow plates on the bumper aside from not having to drill the bumper?

I'm getting ready to do leaf springs and was looking at shackles too - If you're talking about the shackles that have that extra pin in them for towing, the only thing that gets me about towing from a shackle is that you're pulling from a couple of bolts. I would rather pull the vehicle from the frame (bumper mounted tow shackles) than a couple bolts. These things are over 3000 pounds and even with a grade-8 bolt I just wouldn't feel secure about that.

.02c

I have no experience with tow shackles, but they just dont sound right to me, so I opted for bumper mount. I also have no personal experience with extended shackles, but have read more than a few threads about others who have done it and the issues that can occur. For starters, they change the pinion angles which can/will effect caster, and it will get even worse when you lift it. You may want to consider a good lift kit, they are not all created equal. I can say OME makes one heck of a nice riding spring, but they are on the upper end of cost.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like my gut feeling was the way to go: lift kit, regular shackles and mount the brackets to the bumper.

Agreed...lift kit, standard shackles, bumper mounted towing (installed straddling frame rails).

That said...I know you don't envision heavy duty off-road use, but for many owners (like myself) it started out that way then once you hit a few trails you'll want to grind up your 2.5" lift, sprinkle it in a spoon, heat it and inhale...get me? Then you'll have bought 2 lifts and done the work twice.

Skip the 2.5 lift and just get a 4 and be done. Your 33's will look fantastic under there

My 2cts.

Skip the 2.5 lift and just get a 4 and be done.

I agree with this as I would love to do the 4" lift and be done but there is a lot to do with a 4" vs. 2.5" - extended brake lines, new drive shafts, and if you're gonna put the 33's on there you really should change the axle gearing.

I'm going to do the 2.5" and keep my 30" tires, stock axle gearing, brake lines and drive shafts just like they are for the moment. I'll save up and do the 4" and all that comes with it in a couple years.

Too many toys, not enough money....

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks