"New" 74 CJ5

DrewWilson

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'75 CJ5
258 4.2L
Hello--
I am looking for some advice. I am picking up a 74 CJ5 this week. 258 Straight 6, 3 speed manual. I have owned YT/TJs in the past (1994, 2000, 2011) but finally pulled the trigger on my first CJ. Always been my favorite. I have some minor experience with repairs (replace radiator, thermostat, valve cover gasket, water pump, alternator, timing chain tensioner, etc). This CJ is somewhat of a barn find.
The good: All original...has original hard top, doors, wheels, and seats. It starts and runs well. 4-wheel drive works. Floor pans look great. No body damage other than a nice "patina", and some surface rust spots.
The bad: I know it has a knock when it first starts, goes away in about 30 seconds. Minor leak around valve cover, needs new gasket. Possible small transmission and rear diff leak. Will need new taillight panels.
If anyone can provide some guidance on what to look for I'd appreciate it. Looking forward to fixing it up and getting it dirty.

Thanks.

Drew

Attachments

• IMG_9069.jpg
    IMG_9069.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9070.jpg
    IMG_9070.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9071.jpg
    IMG_9071.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9072.jpg
    IMG_9072.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9073.jpg
    IMG_9073.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Congrats! Are you sure its a knock, or could it be a tick? One could be bearings, the other a lifter. You'll want to verify oil pressure with a manual gauge.

Definitely just a tick.

Had a sporty day bringing it "Ol' Blue" home. breaks are intermittent. Started off with a tough pull to the left when breaking at 45+mph and then basically NOTHING. Rolled though some stop signs unintentionally. Had to "STOP?" at a gas station to get some break fluid, but the reservoir was close to full. Topped it off anyway. Going to run through the break system.

Valve cover leak is evident. Fixing that tomorrow. Couldn't find a silicon gasket and went with a cork. Does it need any sealant or just put in as is out of the package?

Drew

Never had great luck with cork. A thin layer of sealant should help some though. If its feasable, order and wait for the Fel-Pro blue silicon gasket. Worth it in the long run.

X2 what hole said, if you can wait on the Fel-pro silicon gasket I would do it. It's well worth it.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

I went through the same thing with my valve cover gasket. The cork ones are junk.
I ordered a better gasket but in the mean time just used "the right stuff" without a gasket. I put a liberal amount on the valve cover flange, snugged it up a little, waited an hour or so, snugged it up just a bit more and it hasn't leaked since.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MIyt74nOKr6QIVuymzAB2KSg0JEAQYASABEgLkUPD_BwE

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks