Nerf bar mounting

Nerf bar mounting

cdlongjr

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 Jeep CJ-5, 1987 Wrangler YJ, 1974 J-10
Pam purchased a pr of nerf bars for the 5. When I held them up to the frame for mounting, they are angled. I looked thru several catalogs & see that one end is longer than the other. Are they supposed to be mounted with the angle to the front or to the rear? Some pics would be helpful as Pam thinks they are the wrong ones for a 5.

what/where is the angle you are talking about? is the tube angled front/rear or side/side? is there an angle on one end...?

I would think the offset side is to allow flexibility in mounting locations.
but post some pics so we can see what you are working with.

hmmm....are you sure they are the right bars? When you hold them to the frame is the bar and the body meet in a straight line, or is it say, wider from the body in the fron or back depending on how you hod the bar??

Wider from the front or the back, depending which way I hold the bar.

Yes, they look like the c shaped ones.

Now if I can remember where I found that picture! BTW - One end of those bars definitely look like they are at an angle!

Can you tell us where they were purchased from?

I have Nerf bars that are similar to what you are pointing out (love them by the way) The shorter angled end goes to the rear.

Newfunctionalbling.jpg

I have driven mine on it's side without a scratch on the body.

OK, School me on all models of the CJ5. As I remember, the frames made for the 5 modes were all straight beam. Meaning they were straight from front to back with no outward flare from mid frame to the back. The CJ7 models were all made with a boxed and flared frame. The nerf bars for a 7 would be short leg to the back, long leg to the front so that they would line up straight along the body. This would pretty much make them unusable on the 5. This only matters if I am right about the 5's having a straight beam frame rail.

I've postd pics in my album. Guess I'll take the 5 to my co's shop & have the foreman cut & welld them to fit. On, look @ the pics ofmy top. Should it be anchored across the top, or is the bubble up in the center the norm?

Yup, thems there are bars for a CJ7, 10" too long for your 5. If you still want to use them, just have the long leg cut off and reweld the flange to the tube.

As for the bikini, no, It is NOT installed properly. the plastic strip that clips ino the windshield channel has been bent due to being folded during storage. You have to be absolutely certain that it is fully clipped and laying flat to the channel. If not, it WILL fly off on the road.

Last edited:
It has 2 snaps in the front. One on each corner. I see the plastic strips you're talking about. Do they slide into the channels @ the top of the windshield, then pull the top over & buckle it down?

I got it Coldwater, THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

Nerf bars came from Evil Bay. Pam got them when I thought I had a 7.

Last edited:
I got the nerf bars out last night to measure them. Placed against the wall, they look to be the same lengths. I have posted a pic in my album.

I got the nerf bars out last night to measure them. Placed against the wall, they look to be the same lengths. I have posted a pic in my album.

OK, because I'm not an authourity on the 5, (or anything else) I did a quick check on them. You appear to have the wrong bars. The straight bars like you just showed are for CJ 5's from 1955 - 1975. The bars you will need are for a 1976 - 1983. I posted a sales page with piks so you can see the diference.
Jeep CJ5 Side Steps or Nerf Bars-Black are featured on this page from Morris Jeep 4x4 Center

Thanks again Buddy!!!! Guess I'll get mine made to fit at the shop.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom