Trans Need transmission help (T176)

Trans Need transmission help (T176)

Manic Mechanic

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ7 4.2L 258 .040 over, T-5 trans, dana 300, dana 30 front 3.23 and lock right locker, rear amc 20 3.23 one piece axle shafts traclock

79 CJ7 304, th400 auto borgwarner 1389?? qudratrac stock rest unknown.

89 YJ 4.2L 258, AX-15 5spd, NP231, dana 30 front, dana 35 rear with posi, gears unknown

92 YJ 4.0, AX-15 5spd, np231, dana 30 front, dana 35 rear.
i need some help getting a t176 trans into neutral as i am out of my element as i dont do trany work other then removing and reinstalling them.

so long story short i had to pull the engine and trany on a POS 5 due the engine being locked up. in the process i had to remove the top cover on the 176 as the shifter itself wouldnt come out due to some modification the PO had done. once i got the new motor in and the trany reconnected i attempted to shift gears to make sure everything was working correctly before firing up the new motor. however the dang thing wont shift. after removing the top cover again i find that i can only turn the trans with the clutch depressed otherwise its locked up tight. i figure its in 2 gears at once hence why it only moves while the clutch is depressed.

what i need to do is figure out how or rather where to place the shift collars and reverse gear so that everything is in neutral so that when i replace the top cover it will line up with the forks. i will post pics tomorrow afternoon when i get back to the garage so that you can see where the collars are located tell me up down left right ur screwed give up etc ( just kidding i know u wont say that)

pics
its hard to see the reverse gear bit its at the back in the rear most positionsfdaebd4b82b087d26b79208372a9125b.jpga81a5bd012c5540cb1bb9348811bbb80.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Looking at the syncros the forward gears are in neutral, however the reverse is in between in gear and out, should be forward for out of gear and all the way back for in gear. There is a procedure to install the top to get the shift forks to drop into there slots on the syncro rings and reverse gear slot. Mine has the SM465 and to get the top on, the second gear syncro must be half way in gear and reverse slot just past the big gear (first), third and fouth syncro in neutral. It's a pain in butt to keep it all aligned that way including the shift forks.

thank you for the reply. i managed a few hours ago to get it all lined up and the top back on and shifting. its not the smoothest transmission but at least its back together and working. now I can fire up the new motor.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

For the future, when you look down into the shifter with the shifter rod removed this is what you should see. Also, one common problem with the T17X is when the tin cap that hold s the spring and shifter in place weakens and bends, the trans will not shift into all gears. When you put the shifter cover back on, you have to "roll" it on. to get the reverse fork in.
Shift_Zoom2.jpg
Thanks to Mr. Strenk for the drawing

Just looking to solve a shifting problem with my T 176. I found the shift cover housing cap legs were bent almost 90 degrees and would not shift. Still looking for a reason for this to happen.

To comment on the above about installing the shift cover the shop manual states the T 176 trans cover forks should be in 3rd gear position.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks