Need advice on an engine please

Need advice on an engine please

TnCJ

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ 5, 4.2 engine, D30,AMC 20, T176, Dana 300, MC 2100 carburetor.
My 1980 Jeep's engine is getting tired. Slight knock on the bottom end, almost zero oil pressure at idle and 15 lbs running down the road. [and yes LG I verified pressure with another gauge lol] Sooo, I think its time for a rebuild. But after some searching I've found another CJ5 that was going through a frame off resto but the owner has decided to go another route.
This Jeep is a 1978 model and the engine has been rebuilt as well as the rearend. Owner says they have run engine and has 60 lbs oil pressure 124 lbs compression. .002-.003 clearance on crank and rods. Has a stage 2 comp cam, keith black pistons, and a light weight crank [not sure what the light weight crank is?]
It has a 3 speed tranny, and not sure about the xfer case so if I do purchase it i'll be putting my T176 tranny and 300 Xfercase on it. Also comes with new clutch, pp, throwout bearing. flywheel etc.
Only thing I am really concerned about is the power steering pump is on the passenger side and the alternator is on the drivers side. Which is opposite of what mine is. Would that be a big problem? Would it be possible to switch sides without too much problems?
Any advice you guys could give would be greatly appreciated.
BTW he is selling the whole shebang at a very reasonable price, cheaper than what I could have just my engine rebuilt.
Thanks again!!

As long as both motors are the same 6cyl.(258) you should be able to transfer all of your accessories over to the new motor. The 78 if stock will have a Dana 20 transfer case and T-150 3spd. Sounds like a good deal.

As long as both motors are the same 6cyl.(258) you should be able to transfer all of your accessories over to the new motor. The 78 if stock will have a Dana 20 transfer case and T-150 3spd. Sounds like a good deal.
Thanks, I appreciate it.
I don't need the T-150 or the Dana 20 but it comes with the deal.
The compression seems a little low but the motor has only been run for 20 minutes or so on a stand so i'm thinking the rings haven't had time to seat fully yet.
I think i'm going to jump on it if it's still available.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks