Need a replacement steering column 85 CJ7

Need a replacement steering column 85 CJ7

Bro Paul

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 Jeep CJ7, 258 Straight 6
Hey guys, I’m brand new to the group and hope to learn a lot. I recently purchased an 85 CJ7 and am getting it ready to primarily use as a dingy behind my motorhome. The steering column is in need of replacing. Other than a similar year Jeep, is there another vehicle that a salvage part could be found. The current one actually came out of a monticarlo…not sure of year. Tilt is needed as the seats sit up too high for a straight column.
Any thoughts?

Everything I have heard is originals are GM. Also read up on towing a Jeep if it still has the D300 transfer case in it.

I used an XJ (pre air bag) . You do need to use an upper YJ intermediate column. The XJ or YJ columns have a double D end , the CJ has a spline end. I just split my CJ column and put an upper YJ end on it. Can even hook up the brights on the column.

Hey guys, I’m brand new to the group and hope to learn a lot. I recently purchased an 85 CJ7 and am getting it ready to primarily use as a dingy behind my motorhome. The steering column is in need of replacing. Other than a similar year Jeep, is there another vehicle that a salvage part could be found. The current one actually came out of a monticarlo…not sure of year. Tilt is needed as the seats sit up too high for a straight column.
Any thoughts?
I just recently bought a new column for my Jeep build from this website: http://www.gmtiltsteeringcolumn.com

Wayne is a pretty helpful and straightforward man from what I can tell. I told him what I needed and what I was building, and he put one together for me and shipped it out in short order.

The column I bought was basically the same as the solid state OEM column for my 1982, except it was the more modern version with high beams and windshield wipers on the column, so I could have those controls more accessible. As I understand it, the late 80's GM columns will mostly all swap right in with little to no modification. I could be wrong on this, which is why I let Wayne do what he does best and build me a column for my application. All in all, I spent $540 bucks on the column, but I couldn't tell you any specifics about what make, model, or year it came from.

Anyway, give Wayne a call and visit with him. I'm pretty sure he'll be able to point you in the right direction.

I just recently bought a new column for my Jeep build from this website: http://www.gmtiltsteeringcolumn.com

Wayne is a pretty helpful and straightforward man from what I can tell. I told him what I needed and what I was building, and he put one together for me and shipped it out in short order.

The column I bought was basically the same as the solid state OEM column for my 1982, except it was the more modern version with high beams and windshield wipers on the column, so I could have those controls more accessible. As I understand it, the late 80's GM columns will mostly all swap right in with little to no modification. I could be wrong on this, which is why I let Wayne do what he does best and build me a column for my application. All in all, I spent $540 bucks on the column, but I couldn't tell you any specifics about what make, model, or year it came from.

Anyway, give Wayne a call and visit with him. I'm pretty sure he'll be able to point you in the right direction.
I sent a message to Wayne. He is not able to find a column right now so he can’t help.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks