NAPA Power Steering Box Reviews

NAPA Power Steering Box Reviews
After a long Saturday I got my new NAPA box mounted on the M.O.R.E bracket. Mine utilized the holes already in my frame no problem. There was no cutting required. The new box and bracket combined with a Omnix heavy duty shaft and a new lower steering column bearing made the world of difference. I feel like I have total control with the wheel now.

Also added a new pitman arm and tie rod to the mix. I haven't torqued the pitman arm all the way down yet (185 Ft lbs per torkspec.com) because I'm worried I was forgetting something? Steers good though.... two slow loops around the neighborhood. Have full rotation of my wheel 2 spins clockwise, 2 spins counter clockwise.

Am I missing anything?

What kit did you use to repair the pen box?
Mine is leaking from where the steering shaft attaches to the box
Posted via a mobile device.

I installed a J20 box that is a rebuilt NAPA. No issues.

For what it's worth, I installed a Hummer H1 box into my 1983 CJ7. I also installed the MORE bracket, and the MORE brace to the opposite frame. I swapped out the steering shaft to a Borgeson. The entire setup was plug and play. Very strong, and awesome control of my Jeep now. Sits on 35's with 4.5" Rubicon lift.

The challenge these days is finding a H1 box. I seemed to get lucky and found one on Rock Auto, earlier in 2019.

The challenge these days is finding a H1 box. I seemed to get lucky and found one on Rock Auto, earlier in 2019.

Agreed did mine almost 2 years ago. They were fairly plentiful back then. Rockauto had a few sources then, the H1 is showing a ACDELCO reman currently.

Yup love my H1 box and HD bracket. Got mine at advanced auto parts but it took a few weeks.

Does the H1 box just bolt right up to the stock Jeep bracket?

What year do i ask for at my local parts house?

I installed the Lares 1430. Same item, perfect fit, plug and play.

Hummer H1, same years as previously mentioned. I think I asked for 2002, for whatever reason. I have a few pictures if you are interested. This was the first legitimate work I had ever done on a vehicle. It was easy and very rewarding.

Guys, I am new to Jeeps. I bought this one for my wife. I know old Mustangs inside and out but this whole Jeep thing is new to me, but so far its as addictive as my old Stangs.
Her steering gear leaks like a sieve. I saw the posts about using an H1 steering gear but my question (pardon the ignorance) is what is the advantage of the H1 box over a reman stock one? Also, any tips on removing the old one would be great. It looks to me like 2 of the four mounting bolts require me to remove part of the front suspension to get to. Am I right? Thanks in advance!!!
Don

78, The advantage of the H1 gear really comes down to a couple of things; it's larger, and more beefy. But more importantly, its "variable rate" which means less turns lock to lock. It's more like modern steering where you don't have to make much of a turn to get the wheels headed where you want. In my '83, it was night and day. Mine was also leaking terribly, and it was moving around quite a bit, leaving lots of slop in the steering wheel. I replaced mine, along with a MORE bracket, and MORE brace. My steering is very nice and tight now. I am running 35's with a 4" Rubicon lift. Most on here would say that the bracket and brace are not necessary if you are stock height, mild lift, or not planning to do much off road. I have a couple of pictures if you are interested.

Yes, you do have to remove the bolts from the spring hanger area in order to get the bracket off. I used a floor jack to relieve a little pressure from the leaf springs while I slowly removed the bolts. Once the bolts were nice and loose, I played with the floor jack, slightly up and down, to make sure that my holes would still line up once I installed the new bracket. It was really easy and problem free.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks