NAPA Power Steering Box Reviews

NAPA Power Steering Box Reviews

Eam94

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
81 CJ-7, 258, Stock
My current OEM 81' power steering box is leaking, so I ordered an Edlemann 7858 Power Steering Box Complete Rebuild Kit from Amazon. It claims it fits but I haven't opened it to try.

Well yesterday I stopped by NAPA to just price a Power Steering Box. They offer a rebuilt one for $310 less a $150 core charge so $160.

I was wondering if anyone had a positive or negative review regarding the NAPA one?

Side note. My jeep is pretty much factory. No lift and I'll run probably 31 inch tires. I watched the bleepin jeep youtube on rebuilding the box and it didn't look to bad so I was going to give it a shot when I saw the Crown Rebuilt boxes were $500+ but now I'm leaning towards the NAPA one and be done.

The NAPA ones are guaranteed. If there's anything wrong with it you can take it back. If something goes wrong with the self rebuild or your core has something wrong with it you will still have to buy another.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

My current OEM 81' power steering box is leaking, so I ordered an Edlemann 7858 Power Steering Box Complete Rebuild Kit from Amazon. It claims it fits but I haven't opened it to try.

Well yesterday I stopped by NAPA to just price a Power Steering Box. They offer a rebuilt one for $310 less a $150 core charge so $160.

I was wondering if anyone had a positive or negative review regarding the NAPA one?
Where is it leaking from?
You have to know before rebuilding if your going that route
Most, but not all gear box leaks can be repaired

I have installed 2 of the NAPA's with no issues.
As Posi asks-Where's it leak'n from?
LG

The leak seems to be originating from where the shaft enters the box. If I'm not going to a drop in quality between the boxes I would prefer to return my rebuild kit ($35) and spend $160 net for the NAPA box and be done.

This is my first Jeep so I get impatient and ready to cruise. Especially because once I break things apart my jeep takes up our whole garage and the wife gets pissed when she can't park.

Last edited:
The leak seems to be originating from where the shaft enters the box.
If so that would be the stub shaft seal.

I've rebuilt a few gear boxes and tapped some for hydro-steer I have a box rebuild I did years ago somewhere on this site. However, for $160 and a warranty I would recommend buying remaned if time or desire is in question.

I purchased one of those rebuilt boxes from N.A.P.A. which works quite well. Although the steering gear ratio does seem to be a bit higher though. My other option was to get the oem unit rebuilt by a local shop for a few more dollars, I wish I would have gone that route.

Especially because once I break things apart my jeep takes up our whole garage and the wife gets pissed when she can't park.

I have the same problem which is why my finally agreed to let me build another garage just for the Jeep.

When I tore down my CJ5, I sent my steering gear off to: steerandgear They did an outstanding job on rebuilding it for me. Turn around time wasn't bad, from what I recall. I built a small plywood box to ship it off to them.

In hindsight, I only wish I would have had them convert it to a variable ratio box.

No experience with the NAPA boxes, but as other's have posted, it's guaranteed, and not badly priced.

Side note. My jeep is pretty much factory. No lift and I'll run probably 31 inch tires. I watched the bleepin jeep youtube on rebuilding the box and it didn't look to bad so I was going to give it a shot when I saw the Crown Rebuilt boxes were $500+ but now I'm leaning towards the NAPA one and be done.

The Crown replacement parts for common parts like this are ridiculously high priced. Especially for their poor quality reputation.

In hindsight, I only wish I would have had them convert it to a variable ratio box.

I much prefer a variable rate box in a CJ over the stock CJ box. Mine is from a Wagoneer and is a direct bolt in with a CJ manual steering coupling. And the Wagoneer boxes are cheaper than the CJ boxes, although that will be partially offset by the price of a new coupling.

I have a friend that owns a machine shop and has for many years. While rebuilding my gear box I misplaced one of the 16 balls that go in the return guide and piston. The balls are very slightly different in size and color and you wouldn’t know the difference unless you knew or measured them.
When I went to the shop to buy the size ball needed my friend said he has been rebuilding steering gear boxes for years and never knew the balls were different sizes. I told him their different in size to allow for oil passage. They also need to be installed in the correct order.

My friend is a good machinest if the balls can be overlooked by him I’m wondering how well the mimnum wage worker for the big box stores will do or whoever they have rebuild them. Just food for thought.

I much prefer a variable rate box in a CJ over the stock CJ box. Mine is from a Wagoneer and is a direct bolt in with a CJ manual steering coupling.

@jp360cj
What year Wagoneer box did you use? Was it flare fitting or o-rings?

Does anyone know if all Wagoner (and j20 boxes for that matter) are variable rate? I an in the same situation as posi. I need a new box and I am considering my options. I have a '79 and would prefer to stick with the flare fittings rather than changing out the pump and lines to o-ring, but I can't seem to find any info on what year boxes are variable rate. Most posts I'm finding are people who have '80 or newer setups.

Alright well I'm going to go the route of the NAPA rebuilt box. Removed my current box last night.

While I've got the box out I figure I should replace the mounting brackets too. Should I go the route of the M.O.R.E Heavy Duty Steering Box mount or the Rugged Ridge Heavy Duty Mount both offered through Morris 4x4?

Seems these are a little pricier upgrade from the original plates? Either way I'm going to get a brand new bracket since I can't trust the integrity of my current one.

Does anyone know if all Wagoner (and j20 boxes for that matter) are variable rate? I an in the same situation as posi.
Yes, and you mean Eam94 needs the gear box.

Eam94, I like and have a M.O.R.E steering bracket beefy.

@jp360cj
What year Wagoneer box did you use? Was it flare fitting or o-rings?

Does anyone know if all Wagoner (and j20 boxes for that matter) are variable rate?

I used an 80 something (don't remember exactly, but I think 84 or 85). I was swapping over from manual steering so I grabbed the whole setup from the Waggy. From what I've read, all FSJ power boxes are variable ratio.

While I've got the box out I figure I should replace the mounting brackets too. Should I go the route of the M.O.R.E Heavy Duty Steering Box mount or the Rugged Ridge Heavy Duty Mount both offered through Morris 4x4?

Seems these are a little pricier upgrade from the original plates? Either way I'm going to get a brand new bracket since I can't trust the integrity of my current one.

I run a MORE HD mount an like it. Much sturdier than the OEM mounts.

Yes, and you mean Eam94 needs the gear box.

Eam94, I like and have a M.O.R.E steering bracket beefy.

So is the M.O.R.E HD Mount pretty much plug and play? If I get into any serious modifications like aligning the steering shaft or having to adjust the new box just right it might be a little beyond my skill set?

So is the M.O.R.E HD Mount pretty much plug and play? If I get into any serious modifications like aligning the steering shaft or having to adjust the new box just right it might be a little beyond my skill set?

Yes, it's plug and play.

MORE does sell another bracket that moved the steering box forward 1". If you get this one, you have to extend the steering shaft and notch the crossmember above the steering box for the lines.

Would need to use a 1/4" spacer as well.
I just cut and reused the end of a spring hanger
That was about 8-10 years ago

DSCN1982.png

DSCN1996.png

DSCN1997.png

DSCN2029.png

While you are down there you might want to check that cross member for any cracks to the frame.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks