My Custom CJ Audio System!

My Custom CJ Audio System!

lilplaya25al

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Blue Jeep CJ7 AMC 360 V8
Hey fellow Jeepers! If many of you dont know by now, i have a 1979 Jeep CJ7 with an AMC 360 V8. It is running side pipe glasspacks with no smog goodies so you can imagine how loud it is. Im not saying the ride is boring without audio but me being only 17 and this being my first car, you gotta have some tunes! :D

I decided to go with some powerfull stuff to overcome the loud exhaust and engine sounds. Also i wanted everything hidden so it wont be visible to be stolen. I had to make custom measurments so here it goes! :drool:

Me and two friends spend a few days working on this so the first thing we did was take measurments! I wanted my subwoofer box to be under the rear seat of my cj so it can be hidden and so i can keep the little storage behind the seat for other goodies. Ofcourse that meant the rear seat would have to be raised a bit, but that was okay with me.

So i didnt want to lift the rear seat more than 6 inches because that would have been to high and heads would of hit the rollcage i have in the car. I measured about 6 inches in height, 34 inches in width and 20 inches in length. I took a trip to home depot (one of MANY :eek:) and bought a big slab of wood. I reccommend using nothing less than half inch oak because anything less would be too thin and oak is very strong.
So we told the home depot workers to cut the wood up to the sized we need because the big wood wouldnt fit in the car we drove with. Anyways after they cut it we took it home and sanded it all down and make some more cuts of our own.

I purchased liquid nails glue, the strongest one, and used it with my caulk gun. I smeared it all over and made the boxmany times to ensure strength.

0102112132.png

Anyways im going to try to keep this short cuz i can tell you are geting bored :D

I put pieces of wood in the between between where the subwoofers were going to go for more support and with holes for cleaner air flow but sadly i dont have pictures of that to show you what i mean :(

I bought 2 12'' subwoofers because i want maximum power. I know my space what Limited because my box hight was only 6 inches so it was either i get smaller subwoofers or find special ones that and swallow. So thanks to craigslist, i found 2 12'' Kicker CVT12's for sale in almost brand new condition for a good price. I picked them up then made my trip to Fry's Electronics. There i spend my birthday and christmas money :D
I bought 2 Kicker 6x9 speakers for my tuffy storage speaker boxes, 1 pioneer head unit stereo with USB and aux and blutooth for my tuffy center consule, and 2 amplifiers (1 1000watt, 1 500watt). I also bought the whole wiring kit and RCA cables.

I was going to run my smaller amp (500watt) just straight to my 2 speakers and my (1000watt) only for my 2 subwoofers. So i basicly got done with my speaker box for now, so i started looking for places to hide the amps. I put my big amp under my driver seat and drilled holes in the carpet next to it so the wires would be hidden. The other amp is smaller and happens to be PERFECT to fit in my reat tuffy wheel well storage/speaker box.
The rear seat had to be mounted down somehow to i got a long piece of metal made for fences. There basicly 2x2. I sawed them and made two pieces and put them on eachother in the front and basicly mounted the front of the seat to the metal which mounted to the floor (if that makes sense :rolleyes:).
The back i "L" shaped pieces of metal and mounted one side to the wheel well and the other side to the back of the rear seat. The subwoofer box on its own is heavy enough so it will not move, and it is a tight fit so the better. It didnt have to be mounted or anything.

Sorry guys this was my first thread on this forum so if i didnt do such a good job im sorry :( but i tried so PLEASE let me know what you think of my idea, the pictures are on the bottom! Glad i can contribute! THANKS JEEPERS!

0102112057.jpg

0102112056.jpg

0102111714.jpg

100_7281.png

100_7279.png

100_7278.png

100_7277.png

100_7276.jpg

100_7275.jpg

100_7274.jpg

100_7273.jpg

100_7272.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry i dont know if the pictures show or not, if not please tell me how i can fix them :/

Last edited:
not a bad writeup at all! Personally, I like to listen to my engine when its running, but there is no substitute for a good sound system when its parked :).
For pics, open an account at Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket, then after uploading them there, copy the

Thanks you! I fixed it and all the pictures show now :D

Good Job man!
Pretty ingenious fitting it under the rear seat the way you did. Just be careful about the mud and water that inevitably finds it's way inside. :chug:

that promises to be quite a ride in the back seat. :D

yes true, mud and water might get it but honestly i dont know what i can do to stop that :/
The back seat of my cj is now a massage chair, it vibrated amazingly! I just cant wait to pick up girls in the back seat ;) <--The wink face speaks for itself :D

Thanks guys!!

I used to have a pretty serious system in my CJ5 when I was 20. It got stolen and no matter what I did I could not keep everything secure enough with only having a soft top so I finally yanked it out. I hope you have better luck than me.

Yea i get very nervous parking the car somewhere open, i would rather park somewhere far and walk to my destiation just to be safe. But it would take time to steal all my audio goodies because everything is pretty secure and hidden

man that looks awesome:notworthy:. im 18 and tryin to get to that point. i too have a CJ7 with 360 and glass pack fender well headers. im even working on getting mine painted blue lol. if you don't mind me asking what color is that?

really? damn what are the odds :D

Honestly i dont know the exact color of the jeep because i baught it and the PO painted the car this color. IT is a very hard color to find because the car didnt have doors and i baught dors from a junkyard and it was greenn so when i painted it, the color isnt EXACTLY the same but its close enough.
But to answer your question, i dont know the exact color of it sorry :(

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks