Build Thread My '77 CJ5 rebuild

Build Thread My '77 CJ5 rebuild

polish85

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 CJ5 I-6
Just wanted to say thanks for all the other build threads that are out there. I really enjoy reading them and learning how everyone is going about rebuilding their JEEPS. I finally decided to make one myself.

I have a 1977 CJ5 that i got back in August for what i thought was not such a bad price ($2900). Im from the Charlotte area and they dont come around that often unless they have major issues.

The PO said he used it for a daily driver, not sure if this is really ture. I got the Jeep and drove it home, about 100 miles to Charlotte, and by the time i got it home it had almost ZERO oil left in it. Anywhere oil could be leaking out of it was!

Fist thing i did was try to locate where the oil was leaking from. Came to realize it was from the rear mail seal and valve cover. So i started my never ending oil leak project :cool:. (I know the basics about auto mechanics but never did anything major before so i figured this jeep would be a good learning experience).

First problem i ran into was that i couldn't pull the oil pan out without lifting the engine up about 3 inches. One of the moter mounts wouldnt clear without lifting it up. I didn't know what to use so I put 2 1x4 on my jack and up it went (will try to find the picture of this). When i finally got the oil pan out there was a lot of gunk in it. Not sure what the PO put in it to stop the oil from leaking when i was test driving it but there was a lot of :dung:. BTW the PO also said he replaced the rear main seal. When i got to the Rear Main he infact did replace the seal, BUT only the bottom portion :bang:. The PO wasn't the smartest of people as you will see later on. Took about 30 min to get the top portion of the seal out and it looked like it was in there from 77!:eek: After Slapping everything back together and putting oil it, I was ready to give it it's first test drive. I FAILED! 10 min ride and there was oil everywhere again. Back under the Jeep i go. Realized that the oil pan gasket wasnt on there correctly so i figured i would use RTV so it would move when i was tightening it (I have pictures/videos of all this that i will post when im home). But once again I failed! At this point im thinking the Oil pan is warped but im not giving up! Back up the engine goes and this time RTV everywhere and then gasket and then more RTV. Finally the oil stops leaking, well about 95% of it. I currently have a very slow leak from what looks like the pully area. I will get to this later on but for now im ok with the slow leak.

When i got the jeep the only part i knew i needed to replace was the Carb. I went ahead and upgraded to a 2 BB Weber carb which works like a champ (Figured i would go ahead and spend some money on this $324). Ran into a problem where the studs that hold the carb down were to long so i had to get them cut in order to mount the carb.

So finally the jeep is street ready. I go to the DMV to register it and on the way back I go to press the brakes and a loud boom!:confused: I lost my brakes!!! Lukely i was only about a mile from my house and it was early in the morning so not to mcuh traffic. Took the drums off and realized that everything needed to be replaced including the drums! Replaced everything from the springs, shoes, adjuster, cylinders, hoses, and drums starting with the back and worked my way to the front. Also my MC was leaking so i went ahead and grabbed a new one from Auto Zone ($20). When i got to the front i noticed something wasn't right. The PO i guess attempted to put new shoes on and he put the 2 bigger shoes on 1 side and the 2 smaller ones on the other side.:bang: I just started laughing. Changed everything out and now have brand new brakes all the way around!

Sooooo,
Now its ready!
NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The big boom was my wheel bearing blowing out basically.
I went ahead and got the inner and outer bearing and seals. When i was taking off the bearing i noticed this. We had to cut off the inner piece of the bearing! Finally i got everything off and went to put the new bearing in when i realized that the racing snapped and shaved off some of the wheel hub causing it to be 2 loose. Back to the internet to find a new wheel hub. 1 week later i got the new hub ($89) and this is what it all looks like now.

So after a few months of work i managed to get it running and stopping under its own power.

Gatta do some work (since im at work) will add more in a few hours.

On my lunch break i ran by 4WD and ordered a new HEI Billet distributor and wires along with distributor pigtail and tach pigtail. Has anyone got the pigtails before? Do you have to splice into the wires and into the tach?

Been really busy with work and working on jeep so i havnt been able to upload anything. Here is what ive gotten done over the weekend and this week. took a while but i managed to get everything off even though it was all painted on by PO. A few of the items like the indicator lights i just had to brake in order to get them out. I'm in the process of sanding down the dash panel, and . Im not trying to buy too many tools so this is taking longer then i wanted to due to Limited supply. Not sure if i want to buy a new dash panel or just paint this one black... What do you guys think? Spend the $130-$200 for a new one or paint this one?
PO def bondod parts of this one so its not perfect. I tend to get bored of workin on the same thing for a long time so i split this project up with my wheel wells... The PO thought it would be a good idea to bring up the weels wells up to the top of the tub and i hate it. He also replaced the back floor with diamond plate...but its all one level so the person in the back cant really put their feet anywhere. . I need to have the dash panel done by friday so i can take it to a welder to do some frame work. I will take pictures of the before and after of the frame when its finished. Also the front floor boards need to be cut out and re-welded. I will post more this weekend when i get more parts in and installed.

So i took a break over the weekend and found something i had to have!!!
I was surfing craigslist when i ran across an ad from late december. The guy was selling a tub (99% rushttp://www.jeep-cj.com/gallery/files/2/6/4/8/jeep31.jpg t free), fenders, hood (perfect condition), frame (0 rust!!! it also has a SOA done), axles (axles off a k5 blazer, front 81 inches wide), windshield, wire harnesshttp://www.jeep-cj.com/gallery/files/2/6/4/8/jeep31.jpg es, steering wheel, heating system, and a few other things. I almost feel like i got this for way to low of a price and really suprised noone else grabbed it! I http://www.jeep-cj.com/gallery/files/2/6/4/8/jeep31.jpg only paid 900 for evhttp://www.jeep-cj.com/gallery/files/2/6/4/8/jeep22.jpg erything! Here are the pictures that the guy sent me, i havnt been able to take everything out and take pictures of it but here is everything.

I now have a real project on my hands! Starting today will take more pictures as i go.

I only have about 1 hr per day before i run out of sunlight so this is what i managed to do yesterday. More progress to come today.

Looks like non of the Jeep parts are from a '66. Couldnt have worked out better for you. :cool:

Ya looks like you were right. That one inch lip all the way around is the same on mine so im sure its the right one. I will try to get them switched this weekend if i have time. Not sure if i want to keep all the other stuff but it sure is beastly! Almost feel like i have to because I already have it. K5 axles already sprung over.....how do i say NO to that!
Thanks for the help:chug:

Looks like you're making alot of progress there polish85. Keep at it man. It's been a little chilly lately in Charlotte. Are you doing all of this outside? Well, it should be really nice this weekend and next week in Charlotte. I plan on pulling my motor out and tackling it.

Louie.

Looks like you're making alot of progress there polish85. Keep at it man. It's been a little chilly lately in Charlotte. Are you doing all of this outside? Well, it should be really nice this weekend and next week in Charlotte. I plan on pulling my motor out and tackling it.

Louie.

I have a garage but i didnt have any lights in it. Last night i went by lowes and picked up a light so now i can work inside...So to answer your question, yes ive been working outside from 515 to about 7 (or dark). Moving slowley but by the end of the weekend im hoping to pull all the dash wires out and switch out my tubs to see if the new one fits. Right now im in the process of painting all the hinges and anything that goes on the hood. i think im going to keep the yellow hood :) Maybe ill call POP SECRET and tell them to sponser my blue and yellow jeep haha!

Nice project! They don't call them Jeep (Just empty every pocket) for nothing! :D

Looking forward to pics of the finished product.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom