Build Thread My 350 V8 swap in CJ7

Build Thread My 350 V8 swap in CJ7
Chris at Total Fabrication had mentioned a through bolt style. That would be the best since I don't have the stock pitman arm. Thanks for the links Old Dog. I'll post pics of it with it done.

So, I ended up doing a shim kit and it fixed all my issues. Here are some pics. While I was working on that, I replaced the tie rod, draglink and the bushings to the frame. An easy and inexpencive fix. Also the new-ish dash is in. Still have to hook up the wires and put some final tuches on the motor, but it will be drivable very soon!

BigD'scj7,
Glad to hear you about have it on the road.:chug:

Sacbluesman, I'll get the exact part number for you soon. I have a question, has anyone replaced the dash pulls for lights, wipers ect.? I have a few that fell off, and a few that I cant get off. I have a set of new ones, but just maybe I'm missing something stupid?????? Any ideas aside from cutting them off?

Sacbluesman, I can't find the part number to save my life! It's a 3 core and I can get you the dimensions if you want. I also had to use a thin flex fan for clearance. Also could have used an electric fan.
:chug:

Dimensions would be awesome! :notworthy:

I've been looking at doing the Taurus fan. Anyone having any luck with those?

From my initial mock-up, the fan seems really frickin close to where the radiator would sit...I think i'm going to fancy an electric to be on the safe side.

Something else I would recommend is trimming some of the headlight housing off. I'm going to take about an inch off the back of the housing so its not quite so close to the radiator, but I have a fiberglass tilt nose. You might not have to do this, but if you run into clearance issues, it's always an option. Sorry it's taking so long to get you the size, but I haven’t been able to get to my jeep in a few days. I'll post them as soon as I can. I haven’t tried an electric fan, I'll see how the flex-lite goes and maybe if it doesn’t work out. If a Taurus fan fits, I'm sure it's cheaper than a off road specific fan that does the same thing! LOL

The radiator is a circle track race radiator. 19 1/2W x 16H and 3 core. If it's a steel nose, just take the dimensions from the inside of the grill and go three core. Let me know how it goes.

I do have more pics. Sorry I've been off for a while. I work in retail so the last 2 months have been a blur! Hahaha! I'll make sure to get them on A.S.A.P. The other issue I ran into was a blown head gasket. Even with a Griffin race radiator and the stock fan on the motor (no shroud), it's not enough. Bad news...I need new heads, Good news...I'm getting Vortex heads put on and a new cam. Should be around 320hp-340hp. Not sure, but plenty of power.

The last project I need is to find a new tub. The fiberglass is nice but the ground issues are driving me crazy! Please let me know if anyone has a CJ or YJ tub. I'm willing to drive to pick up. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact me.

The fiberglass is nice but the ground issues are driving me crazy!

I ran dedecated ground wires to the engine, frame, dash, front and rear lights, if your don't you will have problems.
Sorry to hear about the head gasket, overheating thing. I had to use a shroud on mine to keep it cool.

Yea, I'm working on that shroud thing. If you look at the pics, I have a custom brace for my radiator. I need to either find an electric fan from another vehicle, or make a shroud. I need to do something to keep the motor cool. One day I'll have it all worked out. Hahaha

I've got an alum. rad. also, my shroud came from either Jegs or summit I don't remember which. It's made to take a 16" elect. fan.

I think thats the best way to go. I just need to find one that will fit behind the cusom radiator brace. Thanks for the info!:chug:

I just bought an FC-150, I've done some research and found that they're built on a CJ5 Chassis. Right now it has a 4 cylinder Hurricane engine, but I would like to make it a Chevy 350. Any ideas, or knowledge you can share?

know were i can get a full width d60 with the diff on the passenger side?

I got mine from a 86 CUCV Chevy military truck, but all of the chevy, gmc 3500 4 X 4's back then had them.;)

So here are some new pics of the CJ7! It was running great till yesterday. So I was tuning the carb (Holley 4160 600CFM) with a vacuum guage. It was starting fine, running good, just a little rich.

First I set the float bowl level. Then hooked up the vacuum guage and set the idel speed screws. Last, adjusted the curb idel speed. To make sure it resets after adjustment, you rev the motor. so I did....then POW! A backfire through the carb. I shut it down and waited a min. Tried to resart it and it would turn over but not start. I thought maybe I flooded it so I waited a few hours but still nothing.

I did some reseach and found that Holley carbs have an issue with blowing the power valve. I Pulled the carb off to see if it had the new shut off valve to prevent damage after a backfire. Mine did not so I pulled out the power valve and replaced it. Still nothing.

I did not change anything else. What could I have done to cause this?
Any ideas. Thanks for the help. If you have not read the rest of the post, CJ7 with a SBC 350 conversion, 700R4 and Dana 300.

I wanted to say great thread. I am planning a sbc swap in the future, when funding allows, and this has been pretty helpful reading through this. I plan on using a TBI from the early 90's though, want to stay away from the carb issues.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks