Build Thread My 1981 CJ5

Build Thread My 1981 CJ5

JED

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5 with 258 (4.2L) engine.
I was give this CJ5 for christmas. Don't know where to start. I have a pressure washer and plan on cleaning her up then strip it down. I really don't have the know how to separate the body from the fram. I have help rebuild other vehicals but this is my first full rebuild project. I have owned to wranglers in the past. 2002 and a 2007..... Any help you guys can give would be nice. I will post pic with this thread.

Rex

4268d1293507204-my-1981-cj5-img_20101226_113552.jpg

4269d1293507204-my-1981-cj5-img_20101226_113611.jpg

4270d1293507204-my-1981-cj5-img_20101226_113654.jpg

4271d1293507204-my-1981-cj5-img_20101226_113711.jpg

4272d1293507204-my-1981-cj5-img_20101226_113700.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW! you must have been a very very good boy this year!
That looks like a very unmolested, dang near all original survivor. I wish someone would give me one like that! lol
Keep that one in original shape, give it the maintenance it deserves and just enjoy it! You don't see many like that anymore.
How many miles are showing on the speedo?

I plan on keeping it original as i can. The only thing I want to do is lift it up 2 inches and put some 33" shoes on her. I get it delivered today sometime. My son and I plan on pressure washing her today, and then start striping it down to just body and drive train. Then start fixing the body. There are only a few areas of rust around the pedals..... And both floor pans have some rust through. I hit it with a hammer a few times and it is very strong. So I may clean out the rust and bondo over it. I didn't look at the miles yet, but will post it as soon as it gets here. Believe it or not it started up and I drove it on to the car dolly yesterday. It just needs a lot of TLC.

I started stripping out everything. I got the seats, fender flairs, engine compartment accessories and front bumper off. There was a little rust here and there. Like I said, I will clean it up and bondo over. There were a few dents too. I hope to bang them out in a couple of days. Tried to pull the roll bars of but the bolts wouldn't budge. I even twisted the torque bit. Hope to get it off tomorrow. Then I need to clean it up again and again until I can start sanding and patching then get it ready for paint.

Believe it or not, I actually drove it on the trailer and then drove it off the trailer and into my garage. The tires are :dung:. I will look for some used tires to put on while I restore it.

Under the layers of neglect, she looks pretty solid. Look forward to following your progress.

On the body panel issue. Do you/can you weld ?

Looks like a great start. Keep us posted with pictures !!

On the body panel issue. Do you/can you weld ?

Looks like a great start. Keep us posted with pictures !!

+1

If you can weld, or if you know someone who can, I strongly urge you to fix the rust the right way the first time. Spreading bondo over it won't last and in the end, you'll have to fix it again...But it will only be worse by then.

But this looks to be a fantastic Jeep to start with. Good luck. :chug:

Thanks guys, I do know how to weld but I do not have a welder of any kind. I saw online that I can cut out the floor pans and weld in the new ones. It also says that you can rivet them in. I am a Pilot and an A&P (Airframe and power plant) mechanic. So that helps with all the skills. I do think I will separate the tub from the from the frame. It looks like that is the only way to get it looking new. I want it to look amazing.

Rex

I had one just like that 15 years ago, same color and year.Cost me 5500 bucks back then and was in fairly good shape.Sadly i sold it but you got a keeper there that will only go up in value as you fix it.Restore it to original shape and enjoy it.
Good Luck
Mike:chug:

Thanks guys, I do know how to weld but I do not have a welder of any kind. I saw online that I can cut out the floor pans and weld in the new ones. It also says that you can rivet them in. I am a Pilot and an A&P (Airframe and power plant) mechanic. So that helps with all the skills. I do think I will separate the tub from the from the frame. It looks like that is the only way to get it looking new. I want it to look amazing.

Rex

Check out my thread. I'm doing a complete off-body restoration of my 1971 CJ5. You may get some ideas. ;)

She is beautiful !! It is reallly nice to see a CJ in such nice origional shape.

The origional paint color is easy to find. Mine was oriental red, and looked great when I repainted it. The origional hood decals are $$$$, but easy to get too.

Good luck with the build an I look forward to seeing the progress !

What motor and trim package ??

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks