Modified Air Cleaner

Modified Air Cleaner

Hedgehog

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
-1975 Jeep CJ5, 360 V8, Headers, Duel Exhaust,T15 transmission, D-20 Transfer case, Twin Stick Conversion, Warn 8274 Winch
-1951 Willys Wagon, 4 cylinder, "F" head, little rust, very close to stock
A while back I added a K&E air filter cover to the center of my mostly stock Air Cleaner top. Lumpy and others asked for pictures. After finally replacing my broken camera, as promised here they are:

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

I like the effect or the look of this mod. Naturally a fellow jeeper spoiled it by mentioning that in a nasty water crossing water could go directly into the carb. Errrrrr - Now that's far to logical. I guess in a rare desert water crossing I'll have to put a bag over the top.

You might have noticed the extra intake horn. I thought the little stock intake wasn't enough for a big V8 so I got another cleaner, chopped up both to make one. The other day while looking at pictures od AMC V8's I was stunned to find almost exactly the very same air cleaner set up as a stock unit on a '71 AMX. Great minds think alike I guess.

I do like that extra horn, thanks for posting it. Just curious, but what would you think of adding hoses for a complete fresh air system?

That's what I'm thinking too. Especially in the desert with the hot air, you'd want the coolest air possible.
Work looks great though. I'd thought about trying to do that with a stock 258 air box to gain more airflow, since the grille has the same hose port on both sides.

As much as I hate K&N's. That doez look very good. :chug: Looks OEM :notworthy:
Times 3, on a complete cold air ducting set-up.
LG

Thought about the fresh air system too. A wagoner cleaner with the square intake and the hose attachment and hose would be very doable. Unfortunately for me, when the power brake booster goes in I will need to do something with the added intake horn. Step forward and a step back ... Errrrr

Thanks for the kind words though.

I would like to setup my Howell t.b. unit with a fresh air system, but the simplicity of the conventional air cleaner is easier to work with.

Here's the cleaner off the wagoner my 360 came from.
105d93b6b9ce08a575f2d3b7f35bcddd.jpg

Along those same lines for anyone running a Weber carb. This is my 73, 258 engine with a Weber carb. I used a late 70's Fiat air cleaner. Since all carbureted Fiats used Weber's it is a direct bolt on.

Along those same lines for anyone running a Weber carb. This is my 73, 258 engine with a Weber carb. I used a late 70's Fiat air cleaner. Since all carbureted Fiats used Weber's it is a direct bolt on.

What is the silver 'dryer' hose for?
I strongly urge you to move that plastic fuel filter away from the heat of the exhaust manifold. Even with the steel OEM filter located there, that was the source for many engine fires.
LG

What is the silver 'dryer' hose for?
I strongly urge you to move that plastic fuel filter away from the heat of the exhaust manifold. Even with the steel OEM filter located there, that was the source for many engine fires.
LG

The silver hose is just the pre-heater hose coming from the exhaust manifold. I never thought much about the fuel filter, but the picture may be deceiving. I measured the closest point on the fuel filter to the exhaust manifold and it is 6 1/2 inches. What do ya think?

The silver hose is just the pre-heater hose coming from the exhaust manifold. I never thought much about the fuel filter, but the picture may be deceiving. I measured the closest point on the fuel filter to the exhaust manifold and it is 6 1/2 inches. What do ya think?

I cant tell but does that filter have a return?

It can develop a drip if you dont watch the hose for wear/cracking.

Steve - That is a lot of preheater hose. Most get long with only 1.5"-2" vent hose. Looks very professional though.

I never thought much about the fuel filter, but the picture may be deceiving. I measured the closest point on the fuel filter to the exhaust manifold and it is 6 1/2 inches. What do ya think?

Heat rises and the plastic WILL become brittle-
I moved mine to the top of the valve cover-
WHY take a chance-:confused:
LG

I'll probably move it over the valve cover when I put a new one on in the spring. Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks