Mickey Thompson classic III wheels do not fit CJ's???

Mickey Thompson classic III wheels do not fit CJ's???

Mwilson419

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5 6 cyl 3speed.
According to M/T the classic III wheels do not fit CJ's due to the inside diameter of the wheel not fitting over the center hub. I went back and forth with them, and the national tire & wheel rep. The rep from NTW finally went and measured a wheel for me and told me that the inside measurement was 4 1/8 in. I measured my locking hub and it was just shy of that so I ordered them anyways. They havnt come yet but I was wondering if anyone else had this issue? Also he said the classic II wheels did fit but they are discontinued now.

Sounds like you might want to have them machined out. The cost can vary from taking them to an aircraft machine shop down to enrolling in a machine shop high school course and learning how to do it yourself. It also helps to have friends in the business.

No, they will NOT fit.
The center has to be opened up and that will void the warranty.
LG

why not just buy the Classic II?

My genius self missed the last line. Guess I need to hang onto mine now that they will become a cj icon someday.

Sounds like those rim are really made for a Ford. Same bolt pattern, smaller center.

My hubs have a slight taper on them and it looks to me if you installed some 1.5" spacers 4 and 1/8 would clear.

Don't use spacers. :eek:
Either the wheels fit, or they DON'T!
LG

Don't use spacers. :eek:
Either the wheels fit, or they DON'T!
LG

Please educate me. I don't see the difference between spacers and a rim with a larger offset. As long as you re-torque regularly I'm not seeing how this would cause problems.

Off-set on the bearing load for one. Handling is another. Then there is tire rub to consider--
1/2-3/4" may work OK-Beyond that, your ask'n for trouble
The thickness the spacer needed for this wheel to fit over the hub is just stupid excessive.
GOGGLE will provide more info.
LG

I'm going to completely disagree and tell you that a high quality hub centric wheel spacer/adapter (i.e. spidertrax NOT the cheap knock offs from eBay) is fine to run on your rig.

There are some stipulations; they are illegal in some states, and the do require regular maintenance. If you're not going to check your state laws, and you're not going to recheck the torque at every oil change, then you'll probably run in to problems.

I ran a set of Spidertrax on my 4.5" lifted 2001 XJ for 4 or 5 years before I sold it and had zero issues.

Wheel adapters/spacers are going to get you a solid 50/50 split for opinions, some hate them passionately, others have run them for years with no problems.

I agree with Elwood. 1.5" spidertrax have been on my jeep since I got it and who knows how long before. I haven't had any issues. When the OP has already purchased rims and wants to use them I think buying some spacers or adapters to make them fit is wiser then having the rims machined. If the spacers don't work they can be returned with the rims if he wants to keep his warranty.

I can buy the off-set on the bearing load causing premature wear. Mine tires don't rub and I am running 33" iroks. As for handling, its a jeep not a race car. :rolleyes:

Just my two cents

Run what you want-BUT, the last 3 out of 4 axle failures I witnessed on the trail. The drivers were using spacers-2 were a broken spindles on a D/30 and the third was a broken rear axle hub.
The fourth was a stock D/35 broken axle at the hub.

LG

As for handling, its a jeep not a race car. :rolleyes:

Just my two cents

:rolleyes:So that's a reason to make it worst:rolleyes:
BTW: no need to run a spacer with 33" on a CJ :dunno:
:chug:
LG

BTW: no need to run a spacer with 33" on a CJ :dunno:

I am pretty sure the PO was in the same position as the OP. The rims that came with my jeep are ford rims.

3 out of four is pretty bad odds against the spacers I have to admit. :notworthy:

My Jeep CJ wheels are 5 lugs on a 5 1/2" bolt circle(5-5 1/2).
What you need to ck is the off-set of your wheels.
My wheels are 15"X8'' and do not run or need any type of spacer.
But this has nut'n to do with the OP's issue-
It would best to have a shop bore the wheel centers out for clearance.
Or buy other wheels.;)
Me-I really like my ALCOA's and they have taken a beating over the years.
LG

According to M/T the classic III wheels do not fit CJ's due to the inside diameter of the wheel not fitting over the center hub. I went back and forth with them, and the national tire & wheel rep. The rep from NTW finally went and measured a wheel for me and told me that the inside measurement was 4 1/8 in. I measured my locking hub and it was just shy of that so I ordered them anyways. They havnt come yet but I was wondering if anyone else had this issue? Also he said the classic II wheels did fit but they are discontinued now.

Any luck on getting these to fit? I would like to pull the trigger on a set myself. M/T told me they would not fit, but Morris 4x4 says they will. Lots of misleading information out there. Thanks

Any luck on getting these to fit? I would like to pull the trigger on a set myself. M/T told me they would not fit, but Morris 4x4 says they will. Lots of misleading information out there. Thanks

WELCOME :chug:
They will not fit your Jeep without opening up the center hole to give clearance for the front hub.
LG

I liked the classic III's but with a similar situation, I decided to go with Eagle Alloys 186's. Knockoff or very similar I don't know, but they were a lot less expensive through Summit. They fit nicely. Have to buy the center caps separate and I chose some of stainless steel Summit generics.

Attachments

• IMG_1689_1080.jpg
    IMG_1689_1080.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 823

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks