Metal Cleaning

Metal Cleaning

kj 7

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
"The Bruise" 85 cj7 258-D300-stock axles
How do you guys clean metal that has oil on it for welding?
Like say, spider gears?

I'm pulling the gears and don't have access to solvent tank or anything.
So I need something off the shelf.
Degreaser?
I've read that brake parts cleaner can mess up your nervous system if burned from welding. What if something is cleaned with brake parts cleaner & left to dry for many days?

Starting to feel comfortable with the welder & almost ready to weld those up so any tips on this would be great! :rolleyes:

I want to heat up the carrier before I do it but don't want to use my kitchen stove, thinking of using my Weber Grill. Watcha think? Anybody tried it? Can I leave the bearings on the carrier? I'd let the coals burn down a bit before putting it in.

If your concerned about the brake clean problem... How about carb cleaner?

Hell! They will all probably kill you if used in confined spaces...

I just clean - let it dry, use adequate precautions and go for it... I'm 46 and I'm not coughing... :)

How do you guys clean metal that has oil on it for welding?
Like say, spider gears?

I'm pulling the gears and don't have access to solvent tank or anything.
So I need something off the shelf.
Degreaser?
I've read that brake parts cleaner can mess up your nervous system if burned from welding. What if something is cleaned with brake parts cleaner & left to dry for many days?

Starting to feel comfortable with the welder & almost ready to weld those up so any tips on this would be great! :rolleyes:

I want to heat up the carrier before I do it but don't want to use my kitchen stove, thinking of using my Weber Grill. Watcha think? Anybody tried it? Can I leave the bearings on the carrier? I'd let the coals burn down a bit before putting it in.

I always use brake cleaner(twitch,twitch), but seriously.
Welding fumes in general aren't good for you.
It's best to weld in a well ventilated area & use a fan.;)

I read it on Pirate a few months back (I know, right.) and didn't pay much attention since I didn't have a welder at the time. Freaky though

I'll answered my own question since I was at work earlier.

The CHLORINATED brake parts cleaner is extremely toxic when welding. Evidently, it reacts with the UV arc, vaporizes and releases phosgene gas.

The UN-CHLORINATED does not do this but still contains chemicals that are carcinogens.

Acetone seems safe, but doesn't have the convenience of being in an aerosol can.

Heres the thread I found on it:

ATTN: anyone who welds - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

ok, degreasers are fine, and work great but leave a residue, If you want a clean surface use windex as a final surface cleaner. I learned that from a welder, he wants no residue before welding.

Good tip.

I'm definitely shooting for getting all of the gear lube off that I can with either degreaser or acetone, then I'll hit it with windex. :cool:

Another vote for windex! Learned that in welding class about 25 years ago!

LOL - Wow I'm dating myself!

Posting up at 5:00 on a saturday morning is definitely dating yourself.:laugh:

Posting up at 5:00 on a saturday morning is definitely dating yourself.:laugh:

You have to get up at 5:00 am to be prepared for the nap you will want to take at 1:00 pm.:rolleyes:

You have to get up at 5:00 am to be prepared for the nap you will want to take at 1:00 pm.:rolleyes:
ouch, that hurt,but it is true, I work nights so my weekends are just up times between naps

Back in college I had to be at work at 5 am, class at 11 am, back to work by 1 pm then back to class at 4 pm. That was a rough 2 years.:)

Now, it would be great to get off work at 1 or 2 in the afternoon. I leave before the sun comes up and get home after it's been down an hour.

You could always steam it, I stopped by a local truck wash and the guy hosed some :dung: off an axle for me and it didn't cost me anything.

Windex is a good cleaner for removing thin grease, like finger prints or greasey hand prints. I use WD-40 and a brush for most cleaning.

windex is for teh final clean before doing metal work, it dissipates clean not leaving a residue.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks