Lots of vapor off valve cover breather.

Lots of vapor off valve cover breather.

cjutah

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 Jeep CJ5 4.2L 1BL 6cyl 3 speed.
I am really new to CJ's. I was basically given one by a boss after my 93 Cherokee died a few weeks ago

There is some vapor coming out the breather

Now I realize it's blow back getting past the rings probably. The front hole in the valve cover has a breather and the rear has a PCV valve(tested that it works fine).

Now if it was summer, and warm I wouldn't mind but Utah gets cold so I have the top on. That vapor is building up and coming into the cab. Which probably isn't healthy.

Could I swap out that breather with another PCV valve and run it to the carb? Looks like the carb has some inlets on the front base that are not being used. Or attach it to the line that the rear one is using?

Thanks.

If the PCV is working correctly, you should not have any vapor. Where is the hose running to off the valve???

The line off the PCV is running down to a inlet into the bottom of carb. Tested the PCV by disconnecting it from the valve cover while it's running. It's doing it thing and creating a vacuum.

Mine runs into the intake manifold... I wonder if you are getting enough vacuum?

P5110006.png

It looks exactly like that, except its the rear hole where the valve is. The connection where yours is going into, is behind the carb, not in front. When I took the valve off the cover it had enough vacuum to suck onto my palm and stay there. Even straight up.

Edit: Guess that's is the intake manifold. (never owned a car that uses a carb before)

Last edited:
Mine runs into the intake manifold... I wonder if you are getting enough vacuum?

P5110006.png
The PCV should be in the front hooked up like the pic and the rear hole in the valve cover should just have a elbow with a hose that goes to the bottem of the carb.

Just a thought but when you say "vapor" I'm thinking water vapor. Check your oil, it may have water in it either from condensation from sitting a while or from a cooling system leak into the crankcase. I'm assuming if he "gave" you this Jeep that's it's been sitting with little to no use.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks