Looking at this 1961 CJ5. Any advice would be appreciated.

Looking at this 1961 CJ5. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Tub is 8 years old, F134 engine, 3 speed, hi/lo transfer case, manual locking hubs, newer radiator, new rear main seal, new pinion seal and diff cover gaskets. D24 front, Dana 44 rear, t90, new master cylinder, brakes, tires, steel and rubber lines. What's a fair offer?
08b3e7799e64e9570df70e279ee034ca.jpg
ecef87ebafdb3a16c9a5418868d55297.jpg
4c1813f90a1782d6a229fa8fa75628ea.jpg
43f257e46618ffef991a5e83783d27e2.jpg
a5fdab647c63cb1c8386f70732346aad.jpg
77568c95bd1319e961e8e5a8505623a5.jpg
9e51a4a79666dad7df572ff46af14580.jpg
979bbc34894697cf167f79e308bea2d1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Driveable, Title, Registered, .......
too many variables on not much info
$1500 ?
Don't worry.....if you're too low, he'll let you know.

Driveable, Title, Registered, .......
too many variables on not much info
$1500 ?
Don't worry.....if you're too low, he'll let you know.
He's asking $6,800. 48k original miles. Was restored 8 years ago. Clean frame and registered/titled.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Pretty sweet looking ride, look it over good check for any VIN numbers you can find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Theres overspray all over the place, seams coming apart on the seats, etc. Pics cant tell us how well the drivetrain sounds/feels, so only you know that. I might be wrong, since I'm not currant on the early CJ's value, but I wouldn't think much more than $4k. The lack of care/quality control on the paint work alone make me question the care and quality control that went into the rest of the "restoration". Not trying to knock on it or you, just my observation of the pics provided.

Theres overspray all over the place, seams coming apart on the seats, etc. Pics cant tell us how well the drivetrain sounds/feels, so only you know that. I might be wrong, since I'm not currant on the early CJ's value, but I wouldn't think much more than $4k. The lack of care/quality control on the paint work alone make me question the care and quality control that went into the rest of the "restoration". Not trying to knock on it or you, just my observation of the pics provided.

Thanks for the information. Is there anything in particular I should keep an eye/ear out for with the F134 and T90?

Wrong dash, missing glove box cover
Has a replacement tub, wonder how the frame looks if the original tub rotted away
I can tell it's been sitting for awhile
Diamond plate bumper and frame rail cover is a big turnoff IMO
F-134 is a good engine, but don't plan on driving anywhere close to fast
The T90 has a history of popping out of second gear while letting off the accelerator at higher RPMs
Good title, everything works as it should $1800-$2800

Wrong dash, missing glove box cover
Has a replacement tub, wonder how the frame looks if the original tub rotted away
I can tell it's been sitting for awhile
Diamond plate bumper and frame rail cover is a big turnoff IMO
F-134 is a good engine, but don't plan on driving anywhere close to fast
The T90 has a history of popping out of second gear while letting off the accelerator at higher RPMs
Good title, everything works as it should $1800-$2800

Good information. What year is the dash from?

63 never had speaker grills
Most likely aftermarket.

I would take it out and drive it. Make sure everything works stops good. If it drives like :dung: walk away.

Around me a Jeep like that is $5000-6000 but no more. I like searching sold vehicles on eBay for a good value reference. Biggest automotive market on the internet and the prices reflect what you could get one day as well.

Paint and diamond plate both a turn off for me. While the aftermarket tub may be better than a swiss cheese original, it isn't stock and therefore pretty much eliminates any "collector" value.

And while the F head was a notable improvement over the flat head 134 it replaced, it is still based on the 1926 Willys Whippet engine and rather primitive. If you have not spent any seat time behind any of the 134's, I strongly suggest you do before purchasing. Both slow and exhibit poor economy, not to mention if you manage to get 75K on one without a rebuild job you did well. Been there, done that and have absolutely no desire to revisit.

I would suggest spending some time on ewillys, eWillys | Your source for Jeep and Willys deals, mods and more
to see what comparable Jeeps are listed for. Then maybe offer $1000 less. $6800 is way too high. And 48k original miles? How exactly was that determined? One owner? I doubt it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks