Looking at Ducati Monster

Looking at Ducati Monster

Suz

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ8- a.k.a. Black Pearl
Looking for something to run up & down the highway approx. 100 miles a day commuting. Fell in love w/ the Monster Dark back around 2000. Looks like they're still in production from what I see online. Anybody have any firsthand knowledge or input?

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Tapatalk

I've no experience with a Monster, but there is definitely a coolness about them.

There are lots of used examples available.

Harder to find a Dark though... boys seem to like red :-) plenty of those available.

Try this? :)

plasti1.jpg

Not a bad idea! Bet I'd get better traction too:-)

So, I headed down to Tallahassee this afternoon, to Florida Motorsports. Got to straddle a 2014 Monster. Felt REALLY good. Too much plastic though. Gonna try to find something pre-2005. Small world though; the sales guy used to play in one of the regular bands at a little Tavern I used to frequent. He actually remembers me. Can't swing a dead cat without running into someone I know... such is my life.

Make sure whoever you buy from has all the service records. The L twin is a good motor but the desmodromic valvetrain is not happy when it is out of spec and Ducati=$$$ when needing parts. Also don't forget this is a naked bike and 100 miles a day of buffeting against your helmet at 60-70 mph will get old. I would at least look for a bike with a half fairing minimum.

From here, it looks great.
Let us know how it turns out.

From here, it looks great.
Let us know how it turns out.

Did you happen to follow the link or are you just looking at the pic? It's got over 34k miles. Having been well maintained though, that shouldn't be a dealbreaker...

It's a nice bike, but unless you have a carbon fiber fetish, the price is about $1,600 too high.
Let us know how it looks in person.

It's a nice bike, but unless you have a carbon fiber fetish, the price is about $1,600 too high.
Let us know how it looks in person.

That's exactly the sort of input I was hoping for. THANX. Do like cf- not quite a fetish though...

2k in carbon fiber where? I see a fender and some end cans and that about it. Check your state if you need an inspection to get is registered because the blinkers are not legal DOT. 30k plus miles take a look at the obvious wear items like the chain and sprockets, wheel bearings. Have them lift the rear to see if there is any swingarm play. Ask if he changed the fork oil at all and brake fluid. For that price I would expect new tires as well. Also see how many miles since the timing belts were replaced.

2k in carbon fiber where? I see a fender and some end cans and that about it. Check your state if you need an inspection to get is registered because the blinkers are not legal DOT. 30k plus miles take a look at the obvious wear items like the chain and sprockets, wheel bearings. Have them lift the rear to see if there is any swingarm play. Ask if he changed the fork oil at all and brake fluid. For that price I would expect new tires as well. Also see how many miles since the timing belts were replaced.

K. Thanx. GREAT tips. Will do. Ad doesn't say the cf is actually ON the bike. Maybe he has a pile of stuff that goes with it! Am moving to the state it's currently in. I presume that if it's already registered there then it should be legal? Will work that out. Supposed to have had excellent maintenance & service records to back that up. May run down this weekend and take it out. He's fine with a test ride since have my m/c license. The guy is 77 yrs. old and says he just prefers his BMX. Says he cranks the Duc every week and takes it out a least every two weeks... we'll see.

So, I'm super stoked. Got financing for the Duc. May ride down Sunday & do the deal if my buddy makes it in from DC to go with, as he's owned two. Thanx for the input guys. Bill's asking $4,200. Obo. Gonna offer 3k; would be very happy to pay 32 but not going over 35... good math, right?

Good luck and i hope it works out for you. Ducatis and awesome bikes.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks