Lift Kit Advice for CJ8

Lift Kit Advice for CJ8

wildcatmoto

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
81' CJ8 Scrambler
Hey Jeepers

new to the forum. I've had my 81' CJ8 for about 4 years now. It is pretty much stock with the 258 engine and all original suspension. Dual stick transfer case and weber carb are the only major mods. It did have original AC but it was taken out, not sure I will put it back in. She runs and drives awesome, except that it is ready for a suspension refresh.

That being said, I like having it pretty stock, I don't want to put anything more than 31 or 32 inch tires since we drive it around alot including 200 mile trips to the mountains for fishing. That being said, I am looking at a few <$1000 2.5 inch lift kits. Trail Master, Pro Comp or Skyjacker sport are three I have narrowed it down to. Staying away from Rancho as I had that on an older YJ and it it was like an egg beater. I am also replacing the shackles and was planning on doing stock unless there is some benefit to after market other than additional lift. I don't want it sky high otherwise the wife won't ride in it! After the lift, all the steering components will get replaced as well so the steering is tightened up. Ideally, I am looking at less than 700 for the kit with shackles etc but if there is something out there that is going to give me a ton of difference in ride, I would be interested.

User error on uploading images, can't get them to insert in. Otherwise I would post a picture of my stock beauty.

I know you didn't list it, and not sure if they offer it for the CJ8, but I really like my 2.5" BDS lift on my CJ5. I have 31" tires and it rides and looks great. I have been thinking about getting some offset wheels because I'd like a little wider stance...would probably go to 32s when I do that.

As far as shackles go, I bought a set with a bolt in the middle (for stability) and zerks on the bolts.

When you put the bigger tires on, be sure to check your steering limits and adjust the limit bolts to prevent any rubbing. I had to adjust mine a touch, but I don't know if that's because the PO was a moron or not.

I would shy away from those lift kits that you mentioned. BDS and Old Man Emu are the the two you want to look at for excellent ride quality and quality components. They both ride soft and have good replacement guarantees.

I forgot about BDS. They just moved to the top. I have been so apprehensive about the lift simply because I don't want a harsh ride. That being said, I don't really think my shocks are doing anything at this point. They aren't original but I am pretty sure they are 20 years old and the springs are for sure original. I am thinking my 2.5" lift will end up yielding way more.

Also - thanks for the advice about the wheel offset. I should be okay with 31s but I will check that out. The PO had 32s on it and they rubbed real bad so I took them off and put 237/75/15s for now.

I would shy away from those lift kits that you mentioned. BDS and Old Man Emu are the the two you want to look at for excellent ride quality and quality components. They both ride soft and have good replacement guarantees.

Agreed-I really like my 4" lift from BDS. Good customer service too, I had a few questions and they were more than happy to help.

I'll attest to BDS customer service.

After 4 months of very light driving, my rear left spring sagged 3/4". I called them up and they asked for a couple measurements and sent me a new spring and bushings...showed up a couple days later. They apologized profusely and made sure I stayed happy. I understand that even high quality parts fail every now and again, so no real skin off my back. 30 extra minutes of work and the CJ5 was right as rain.

I have heard good things about BDS and OME. But my personal experiences do not include those brands. Maybe some day. But I have been building my 8 on a relative budget. I started with flat stock springs 9 years ago. Put in a used set of 2.5 Rancho leafs. Those were pretty harsh. After they sagged back to the stock height, I went and installed a 4 inch lift and 33s. This time with a set of Skyjacker leafs. They are doing well. They are not as stiff as the Ranchos, but they are not soft either. My old YJ had a much softer ride. But I don’t mind. I will look at BDS or OME next time. Here is a pic of my 8 on 4” leafs and 33s.

d7cd0196bfe6cb8bbf4cd7b9e231e56b.jpg

I did like the look of my 31s on the 2.5” lift. Filled the wheel wells up nicely.

Have you checked to see if anyone near you can re-arch the OEM springs?
LG

I checked into rearching springs local to me and I known the guy that does it. He told me that aftermarket springs would be cheaper.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

I run 31- 10.5 tires on all my stock Jeeps they do just fine with no lift.

^What he said

The OMEs are renowned for their ride quality...which sounds like it's pretty high up on the priority list (particularly if the boss is involved). Only issue is, because they utilize YJ springs, I believe the hangers have to be moved to accommodate the length.

It may be possible to avoid relocating the hangers via longer shackles, but from what I recall (which was about three years ago when I first started researching this), the recommendation was to keep the shackle length as minimal as possible, particularly for one that sees an appreciable amount of time on the pavement.

Like RiverandSand, I went with the BDS 4"...and, while satisfied, I can assure you...it ain't soft. But, I would imagine there's a good bit of difference between the 2.5" and the 4"...the arch is what creates the stiffness.

I can tell you from experience, OME springs ride very nice! I'm running their "heavy spring" with a double main spring (which gives it another 1/2" of lift) for more support with all the :dung: I haul in it for week long desert trips, and it still is a very nice ride when unloaded putting around town. They are more money up front, but it will keep the Mrs much happier while she's riding with you. Mine used to Love driving my 8, that is until I swapped out the smooth shifting T5 for a slow shifting T19 and put a locker in the rear. Now she wont touch it and pisses and moans how I ruined it..... She just doesnt get it ;)

I will throw in another vote for OME. I am running their "Heavy" YJ lift spring as well, the CS036R, on all 4 corners of my '7'. With YJ shackles which are 1" longer than CJ shackles and a 3/4" body lift, I am clearing 33x10.50x15 KM3's just fine with no trimming.

This jeep is pretty heavy also with hard top, hard doors, toolbox, heavy rear bumper, winch and heavy bumper up front, etc. and they seem to be carrying the load just fine.

These are without a doubt the best riding lift springs I have personally experienced. I would buy them again in a heartbeat. I bought the OME bushing kit as well, because it seems like I read that the spring eyes are not standard YJ diameter.

I paired these up with Bilstein CJ shocks and have been extremely happy with the ride quality.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I took a chance on the BDS 2.5 inch lift. OME was my other but didn't fit my 1000 budget. So BDS it is and this will give me some extra cash to add a winch as well. More fishing trips into the mountains means we need a life line ;-)

Thanks for all the advice guys. I took a chance on the BDS 2.5 inch lift. OME was my other but didn't fit my 1000 budget. So BDS it is and this will give me some extra cash to add a winch as well. More fishing trips into the mountains means we need a life line ;-)

I put the BDS 2.5" inch kit on my CJ last fall and it is a great ride. It ain't your dad's Old 88 right but it doesn't shake your teeth out on bumps either.

Don't forget to get all the additional hardware that does not come with the kit. Essentially all you get with the BDS kit is the leaf springs, shocks, and stabilizer damper. The spring plates, shackles, and new shock mounting nuts you have to get separately.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks