Lift and bump stops

Lift and bump stops

coldair

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 cj7 in the works,
1996 F350 crew cab with a 5.9 cummins
Im in the middle of building bump stops for my jeep. Lets see your bump stops. Lifted jeeps only guys :D

I am planning to just put aluminum spacers under the existing bumpers.

The question is how are you deciding how much to extend them??:cool:

That is the million dollar question IO. Think Ill make my suspension flex it and watch the springs so they don't over flex. Then measure the space between the frame and axle tube.

the limiting part is the shocks and believe me when I say you don't have as much throw on those as you may think you do. Find out what the fully closed measurement on the shocks is and put the stops in place to keep from bottoming out. Right now the shocks are the stops, which can put a lot of unwanted strain on the shock mounts.:cool:

I didn't even think about that thanks IO

Im in the middle of building bump stops for my jeep. Lets see your bump stops. Lifted jeeps only guys :D
I use Rancho bump stops for the CJ that match the existing bolt pattern. In the rear I did use extensions, I am not sure if they are still available though. They do or did come in different lengths. Plus there is a front pinion bump stop.

I'm not to that point yet in my build but what I'm thinking at this point is maybe a short section of 2"x2"x1/8" steel tube with slightly longer flat straps welded topside and bottomside with the holes for mounting. It depends on how much I need to move them down from the frame. I'm using the black poly stops.

This is what I'm going to use to remount them. It's 2x4x1/4 prob will have to cut it down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 573
the limiting part is the shocks
so true. You can get shocks with longer travel but they are also longer when compressed.
One exception to that is these shocks from MetalCloak. They have shafts on both ends that extend.
6Pack-Animation.gif
Another way around that limitation is to raise the top shock mount. That's easier said than done for the rear since the shocks mount under the body but in the front you can raise the shock mounts.
I like lots of wheel travel so I mounted ford shock tower mounts to my CJ.
new_shock_mounts__small.jpg

I then installed longer shocks from Doetsch Tech. To make sure I got the right shocks I made measurements of what the compressed and extended lengths should be.
I cut my fenders for maximum wheel travel. You very well may not want to do that. Then I checked where my bump stops should be. I drove into a ditch so that I compressed the suspension on 2 opposite corners.
twist__small.jpg

When I knew the tires wouldn't hit anything I measured where the bumpstops should be.
If I remember right I ended up getting 3.5 inch bumpstops in the rear and 4.5 inch in front.
bump_stop.jpg

6Pack-Animation.gifand how much will 4 of these with 12 or 14 inches of throw set a guy back?? would I need to refinance the ranch??

and how much will 4 of these with 12 or 14 inches of throw set a guy back?? would I need to refinance the ranch??
this one is only 15 inches compressed.
It's 31 inches extended.
That's 16 inches of travel.
Price is $439.

No. That's just one. Oh you want four? So that will be $1756 for your shocks.
MetalCloak 6Pak 16" Long Travel Compact Shock

I am willing to bet they are not the best shock but their claim to fame is just the travel. Pretty cool, but are they worth that much?
6PakCutAway.jpg

I am using Rancho bump stops, which I found are no longer made. I ended up with a 5" bumpstop on the front and 4" on the rear. I keep tearing the poly off the front ones. So I am in the process of installing a set of Daystar YJ front extended bumpstops. They are the same length as my original set up. I need to do a little re- engineering on my track bar bracket first so they will fit.

In the front of mine I used a 1 1/2" spacer with the stock size bump.
In the rear I welded a piece of 2x2 tube to the frame and mounted the bump to it.

Attachments

• IMG_2632_760x570.jpg
    IMG_2632_760x570.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_2827_760x570.jpg
    IMG_2827_760x570.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 262

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks