Lift Advice for 84 CJ7

Lift Advice for 84 CJ7

Eazyrider111

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
84 CJ7, 258, T-176, D44, D30
New here been searching online for info reguarding yj spring conversion. When I purchased the jeep it had been converted over to yj springs. It appears to have a shackle lift but Im unsure if the springs are stock yj springs they are 5 leafs front/rear. Running some 32” and dont want to much lift. Want to stay spring under. I measured top of the axle to bottom of bump stop and am getting 2” in the front and 4” in the rear. What are you guys running for a streetable trail rig as far as 32” tires and lift? Was thinking 2.5” HD OME leaf springs all the way around with the shackles I have. Let me know what you guys think.

Forgot to mention running a hard top and full doors as well as an overside tire on swing gate and a hi jack attached to rear bumper. Plan to get a winch in the front thats why I figured HD springs. Only reason Im wanting to switch out the springs is because it feels like my kidney’s are going to fall out when I take it on a rough road. The shocks are all different on this jeep and are oily figure its time to replace. Just not sure about the leaf springs to run stock or something with more of an arch to it. Any thoughs are appreciated.

I'm running OME 2 1/2" HD with a second main spring which brings it to 3"of lift and extra support for all the gear I bring on long camping trips in the desert. Still rides great and have yet to get any rub with 32's. I dont know the exact measurement, but I've got a lot more than 2" & 4" between the diff's and stops.

I like my 2.5" BDS lift. I run 31" tires for now. I'll move to 32" when these are retired.

I don't know my measurements between the axles and bump stops, but it's more than what you're coming up with. Probably somewhere around 6-8".

I am running the 2 1/2" BDS on my rig and I like the ride a lot. Stiff enough to go on the trail but soft enough that my teeth stay in on the road.

I ended up getting the OME 2.5” leaf springs and bushings. I am right in the middle of installing the drivers side leaf and noticed that on The Dana 30 there are mounts for the shocks. I could have sworn I saw a picture of a yj with the shock mounted to the ubolt plate? Should I grind off the old mounts on the axle and just bolt it to the ubolt plate? Couldnt find an image of a YJ stock shock mount location. I ended up getting some Bilstein 5125 and they would reach no problem. Let me know what you guys think.

Our 79 has the shock mounts on the U bolt plate as well. I'm not sure what is stock for an 84. Welding the shock mounts to the axle is a popular way to get your lower shock mounts out of harms way when crawling rocks and such. I would leave the shock setup on the axle.

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense having it up on the axle. I ended up getting the driverside installed with the shock mounted to the axle. Im going to remove the brake calipers though so that I can drop the axle onto the leaf spring on the passenger side. Due to the ubolt being short on one side. The bolt closest to the pumpkin sits on the casting of the pumpkin and not the axle tube. Should be getting my rear leafs delivered today if I have time I will get those installed as well.

I ended up getting the OME 2.5” leaf springs and bushings. I am right in the middle of installing the drivers side leaf and noticed that on The Dana 30 there are mounts for the shocks. I could have sworn I saw a picture of a yj with the shock mounted to the ubolt plate? Should I grind off the old mounts on the axle and just bolt it to the ubolt plate? Couldnt find an image of a YJ stock shock mount location. I ended up getting some Bilstein 5125 and they would reach no problem. Let me know what you guys think.

WT D30s have the shock mount on the axle tube. NT D30s have the shock mount on the u bolt plate. Also, when the mount was moved to the tube for the WT axles, the top mount on the frame was made taller. This keeps the shock from being very short. If you have the taller (WT) upper mounts, then I would use the lower mount on the axle tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must have the WT Dana 30. It looks to be factory welds on the shock mounts. I ended up mounting the shocks on the axle. Was attempting to kind of slap the front suspension together over the weekend but due to a family gathering on Sunday just didnt have the time or the parts. The OME bushing kits I purchased only come with one sleeve per pack. I read online that you reuse the sleeves from the front of the old leaf springs. Going to attempt to remove them with out a press. Burn, cut, drill? C Clamp and some sockets? What have you guys done in the past? Still waiting on one rear leaf spring and I ordered up some new ubolts F/R from Morris. I would love to post some pictures for you guys but every time I try it says Im not logged in? Maybe I have not posted enough times either? Anyway I will keep updating as I go.

IIRC, my BDS bushings didn't have a metal sleeve for the front shackles. The rear bushings did, though. Or maybe it was the other way around...either way, my bushing kit didn't require me to use old parts.

I don't have any experience with getting them out, but I'd imagine tapping them out with a dull implement of your choosing would be ok. If you have a wide enough vise, you could use it as a press to get them out. If they've been in there for a while, it'll be a PITA to get out.

I must have the WT Dana 30. It looks to be factory welds on the shock mounts. I ended up mounting the shocks on the axle. Was attempting to kind of slap the front suspension together over the weekend but due to a family gathering on Sunday just didnt have the time or the parts. The OME bushing kits I purchased only come with one sleeve per pack. I read online that you reuse the sleeves from the front of the old leaf springs. Going to attempt to remove them with out a press. Burn, cut, drill? C Clamp and some sockets? What have you guys done in the past? Still waiting on one rear leaf spring and I ordered up some new ubolts F/R from Morris. I would love to post some pictures for you guys but every time I try it says Im not logged in? Maybe I have not posted enough times either? Anyway I will keep updating as I go.

The old stock bushings have a metal outter shell which is usually rusted into the frame hanger eye. You will have drive those out and replece with new poly bushing which don't have a outter metal shell. Not sure what the engineers were thinking when they designed that setup. Just order up a new set of poly bushings for the front and back as most kits only come with the spring side.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks