Leaking Freeze Plug

Leaking Freeze Plug

trudz516

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ5, 3.8L, T18, D20, D44
So my freeze plug under the manifold was leaking. Took out intake manifold and headers to access and remove leaking plug. Cleaned, sanded and dried opening before installing new brass plug with a thin coating of permatex copper. Reinstalled manifold/headers and filled coolant. New plug leaking...now what?
3aa788ee3f57f7411d9af39b63768dce.jpg
41896bd577e8ac1983fa174039ad0451.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As much as a pain it is to re-do this job, it will be easier now, on your own terms, in your own driveway, with the proper tools, than to try and do it out on a trail somewhere.

Think how difficult it was replacing it, with a cold engine, in your garage, with proper tools and the gaskets you need, taking your time.......

Now imagine replacing it on a trail ride/road trip, dusty dirty road, hot engine, the loss of coolant, anxious/impatient group members,. and whether you can get to it easily with the hot manifolds installed.

The other guys with you on a trail ride will greatly appreciate you fixing it now.

Do it once, do it right.

As much as a pain it is to re-do this job, it will be easier now, on your own terms, in your own driveway, with the proper tools, than to try and do it out on a trail somewhere.

Think how difficult it was replacing it, with a cold engine, in your garage, with proper tools and the gaskets you need, taking your time.......

Now imagine replacing it on a trail ride/road trip, dusty dirty road, hot engine, the loss of coolant, anxious/impatient group members,. and whether you can get to it easily with the hot manifolds installed.

The other guys with you on a trail ride will greatly appreciate you fixing it now.

Do it once, do it right.

Great point. I’ll have to order New gaskets. But I’ve got the process down to a science! Let’s hope the aviation sealant does the trick.

As much as a pain it is to re-do this job.

^^^^ This

I just replaced 3 leaking rubber plugs a mechanic installed on a guy's 360. I replaced them with brass expansion plugs.

Attachments

• IMG_1950[1].jpg
    IMG_1950[1].jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1949[1].jpg
    IMG_1949[1].jpg
    97 KB · Views: 45
Fix it now-NOT at the side of the road in the middle of the night while it's raining. :notworthy:
That Dorman plug works just fine near the exhaust.
LG

Yep, fix it now while it's relatively easy to fix.

72 hours and counting...no leaks. Now to fire it up and run through some heat cycles.

72 hours and counting...no leaks. Now to fire it up and run through some heat cycles.

Any update?
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks