Lift Kits Leaf Spring Removal

Lift Kits Leaf Spring Removal

CCKCJ785

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7, 4.2L 258
Updating my springs on 85 CJ7. How the heck do I get the bolt out of the- spring? I am up for any suggestions. Pic attached, I suspect they have been in there since 85. Thanks

Attachments

• Rear Front Leaf Botl #1.jpg
    Rear Front Leaf Botl #1.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Rear Leaf #2 Bolt removal.jpg
    Rear Leaf #2 Bolt removal.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 21
Solution
In a nutshell, been doing this stuff since 73, love a challenge. 5Lb. sledge hit the eyebolt till flush with bracket. removed nut and 24" rebar same diameter as bolt. Proceeded to knock the eye bolt out with 5lb sledge. New hardware to be installed with anti seize. Oh and by the way I doubt it will be disassembled again in 30 years. That said if so they will be happy with what was done to make their job easier. Ready for the next WTF situation. Appreciate all the help and direction.
I used an impact on mine - drive em right out.

Sometimes they need a bit of persuasion from a hammer....... Now, don’t take this the wrong way, but you need to unload the spring completely, but not hang it either. They won’t come out any easier than that, so any load in either direction just makes it harder.

Might also try the impact or socket wrench wile someone pushes with a punch from the other side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack the rig up and support it by the frame with jack stands letting your wheel hang. Then put a jack under the axle and raise it to release the weight off the bolt. You should be able to punch it out fairly easily.

Done all of the above. Just going to get a bigger hammer or if all else fails Sawsall will get it done. Appreciate the help

If you have new bolts, that would be the quickest way

Perhaps the bolts have seized to the bushings. Hopefully you have new bushings with your new springs. So no need to save the old ones. Use a small torch to heat up the bolts and bushings together to soften the rubber bushings and then try driving the bolts out with a hammer and punch.

So in the end I used 5lbs. hammer and drove the bolt flush with the bracket. Piece of rebar is the same diameter of the bolt. Drove it out and never looked back. Ordered new hardware for the reassembly. Will be back on it's tires by the weekend. Suggestions appreciated for sure.

Coat everything with copper anti-seize on reassembly.
Gary

And if you follow Lumpy’s advice, wear a level 1 hazmat suit. On second thought, that probly won’t help either. It’ll be in your ears, bottoms of your feet, armpits........ And probly on your mailbox. Good thing that stuff works so well -

In a nutshell, been doing this stuff since 73, love a challenge. 5Lb. sledge hit the eyebolt till flush with bracket. removed nut and 24" rebar same diameter as bolt. Proceeded to knock the eye bolt out with 5lb sledge. New hardware to be installed with anti seize. Oh and by the way I doubt it will be disassembled again in 30 years. That said if so they will be happy with what was done to make their job easier. Ready for the next WTF situation. Appreciate all the help and direction.

Solution
And if you follow Lumpy’s advice, wear a level 1 hazmat suit. On second thought, that probly won’t help either. It’ll be in your ears, bottoms of your feet, armpits........ And probly on your mailbox. Good thing that stuff works so well -

You didn't say anything about it getting under your fingernails LOL
Gary

You didn't say anything about it getting under your fingernails LOL
Gary

I was just referring to after the opening of the bottle. Get under your fingernails when you look at the bottle.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks