Body Late Cj7 Hard Top Repair

Body Late Cj7 Hard Top Repair

shum8

Voted most irritating
Gold Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'80 CJ-7, AMC 304, T177, Dana 300, Widetrack axles (D30 & AMC20) w/ 3.73 gearing, MSD ignition,
Has anyone successfully repaired the later CJ7 hardtop cracks? I believe the early tops were fiberglass, but the later are some type of plastic. I seriously doubt the fiberglass resin will stick to the plastic. Repairing a stress crack in the plastic will require plastic welding or chemical (melting) bonding. Any ideas?

I believe they are fiberglass even the YJ tops from the 87-95

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

They are fiberglass. I repaired the back corners of the top for my 86 after it got dropped and cracked off large chunks. Fiberglass resin and matting has held up fine for over a decade.

If yours isn't fiberglass it maybe an aftermarket setup

Mine is factory, I just thought there was a shift on materials…… Glad to hear they are all fiberglass - Makes repairs a lot easier!! Thanks for correcting my info!!

i wonder what resin they used, my CJ top i had years ago had a white resin in it, made me wonder if it was a plastic top as well

My buddy who does paint and body work swears by Duraglas
No screen, fiber netting, just mix and fill, sand and paint, he's used this on fiberglass and metal and has shaped it in some severely challenging areas with success.
2023-10-17_082535.jpg

My buddy who does paint and body work swears by Duraglas
No screen, fiber netting, just mix and fill, sand and paint, he's used this on fiberglass and metal and has shaped it in some severely challenging areas with success.
View attachment 86642
I've used that but a top is very flexible especially in the center. I wouldn't trust it to hold up long term. It will make a great top coat over the matting after the repair to help reinforce it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks