Key release mechanism

Key release mechanism

Trevor Heath

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
83, CJ7, 4.2L, 5 speed.
Hi all,

I've just purchased a 1983 CJ7 4.2L T5 300. It had not run in ten years.

We've had it for two weeks and it now runs, turns and stops - still a lot to do though.

As part of the work through, I decided to change the ignition switch, steering lock and turn signal switch as all three had faults.

With all the new parts installed, everything works except the key cannot now be removed. (The fault was there before but the lock/key was so worn the key fell out)

I've pulled the steering column from the vehicle, it is on the bench and concluded (possibly incorrectly) that the issue is the key release lever. It is frozen in place.

The issue is how do I remove the lower shroud to inspect and repair the key release mechanism?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Trevor

Thanks for the reply.

However, did I miss something? All I got from the link was this:

"Lift up the Jeep's hood and locate the battery near the front of the engine compartment. Use a socket wrench to remove the negative battery cable.

Remove the two screws at the rear of the steering wheel. Pull the steering wheel off of the steering column with a steering wheel puller.

Remove the screws from the upper and lower steering column panels with a Phillips screwdriver.

Use a slotted screwdriver to pry off both the upper and lower steering column panels. Reassemble the steering column when done. Reassembly is the reverse of removal. If you wish to remove the whole steering column from the Jeep, remove the four securing bolts at the rear of the column with a socket wrench and pull the column off of the Jeep."

Trevor

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks