Key release lever. What does it do other than...

Key release lever. What does it do other than...

ColeTrickle

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'83 CJ7 Laredo 258/T5/D300
'80 J10 Honcho 360/727/NP208,
'79 J10 Honcho 360/TH400/QT,
'75 J20 "Workhorse" 360/T18/D20
My CJ has a manual tilt column thats in decent shape. Its not loose around the tilt or anything abnormal.

The only thing is that the key release lever is stuck in the down position.
The key can go in and out of the ignition lock as you please.

Should I be concerned? Other than this being kinda of annoying, should I fix this?
I know if its not broke don't fix it but I just want to know if it might be a safety issue.

Thank you for your thoughts and replies.:driving:

I never understood the hole point of it in the first place.

I never understood the whole point of a key. Mine don't need one. Muhahahaha! I've got a battery killer key instead. Almost the same thing.

Sent from Tapatalk on a small phone, forgive the misspelling.

:D Thanks for the insight fellas.

Anyone else out there have any ideas? I just gotta know!!!;)

its supposed to be the "2 step process" to remove the key
notice that in your automatic tranny cars or truck that you have to place the gear in neutral or park to remove the key?
thus keeping the steering wheel from going in the lock position
the manual lever is their answer to that

example (which i lived through)
you and your psycho Puerto Rican New Yorker girlfriend are ridiing down the road then she snaps.....the clouds open up and she brings the wrath of God down on your ARSE........while trying to beat you senseless she reaches over and turns the key while doing 55 :eek: unless the lever is pushed down she can't get the keys and throw them out to oncoming traffic and the steering wheel can still be turned to miss that utility pole that coming up very fast :eek::D:eek:

and actually if you notice it looks like it doesnt touch the lock
it is connected to the rack and as long as your staring procedure is good and there is no drain on the battery,and your old lady isn't the devils spawn sent to destroy your very being.....then you should be good

but when you say the key can be taken out....
even in the RUN position?

and if you here that hurricane amara is coming......I called and suggested her name to the national weather service.......

Last edited:
its supposed to be the "2 step process" to remove the key
notice that in your automatic tranny cars or truck that you have to place the gear in neutral or park to remove the key?
thus keeping the steering wheel from going in the lock position
the manual lever is their answer to that

you and your psycho Puerto Rican New Yorker girlfriend are ridiing down the road then she snaps.....the clouds open up and she brings the wrath of God down on your ARSE........while trying to beat you senseless she reaches over and turns the key while doing 55 :eek: unless the lever is pushed down she can't get the keys and throw them out to oncoming traffic and the steering wheel can still be turned to miss that utility pole that coming up very fast :eek::D:eek:

it is connected to the rack and as long as your staring procedure is good and there is no drain on the battery,and your old lady isn't the devils spawn sent to destroy your very being.....then you should be good

but when you say the key can be taken out....
even in the RUN position?

and if you here that hurricane amara is coming......I called and suggested her name to the national weather service.......

Hahaha...best read I've had in awhile! Thank you for the laugh!:D

Yes! I can pull the key out even while its running.

I dunno if I should get this fixed. Probably leave it alone cause I got other things to spend money on.:( :rolleyes:

Thanks again, Cerrajero

That was awesome. Haha.

Mine is the same way. That's why I put the battery kill key in.

Sent from Tapatalk on a small phone, forgive the misspelling.

pulling the key out in the run position is a sign that the tumblers inside the lock are worn out
only when you have a hard time getting the key to turn......replace the lock
or it turns without the key........ well that's up to you
if you can turn it without a key then any hoodlum can too

it is connected to the rack and as long as your staring procedure is good and there is no drain on the battery,and your old lady isn't the devils spawn sent to destroy your very being.....

I guess thats why I didn't see a reason for it I have never been thru anything like that. I'm glad you are still with us. :D

I guess thats why I didn't see a reason for it I have never been thru anything like that. I'm glad you are still with us. :D

life lessons ............
look both ways before crossing the street
never never ever ever ever ever ........date a police woman puerto rican new yorker with violent bipolar tenancies that knows where you live
etc.........

Yes! I can pull the key out even while its running.

Amusing story. A couple buddies and I went out one evening after work through some trails. One had a steep incline that my friend in his 4 cylinder CJ5 tried to climb. Made it about 3/4 of the way up and started rolling backwards. Trying to stop the Jeep he accidentally knocked the keys out of the ignition. Jeep still running. Well his floor boards were badly rusted and the keys feel through the floor into a mud hole. Next smart move, he backed his Jeep to solid ground and turned it off!:eek: so we're out in the middle of this trail that we're not supposed to be at and now his Jeep has no way to start. So he jumps into the mud and miraculously finds his keys. Shortly after he passed his CJ on to another lucky soul.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

life lessons ............
look both ways before crossing the street
never never ever ever ever ever ........date a police woman puerto rican new yorker with violent bipolar tenancies that knows where you live
etc.........

"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."

Amusing story. A couple buddies and I went out one evening after work through some trails. One had a steep incline that my friend in his 4 cylinder CJ5 tried to climb. Made it about 3/4 of the way up and started rolling backwards. Trying to stop the Jeep he accidentally knocked the keys out of the ignition. Jeep still running. Well his floor boards were badly rusted and the keys feel through the floor into a mud hole. Next smart move, he backed his Jeep to solid ground and turned it off!:eek: so we're out in the middle of this trail that we're not supposed to be at and now his Jeep has no way to start. So he jumps into the mud and miraculously finds his keys. Shortly after he passed his CJ on to another lucky soul.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

makes it important to add extra key to the tool box (or whatever you take for the trails )
If I was called out on the weekend to make a key in that scenerio (which means probably way back in the woods or bush) my price would be right around $200
and $200 isn't worth it......I am not that good looking and don't do lap dances
all you get is a piece of brass that will fit in your pocket

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks