Keep it and fix it or sell it to find nicer

callerys

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ-7, 258 I6, T5

I have been going back and forth for some time. I have an 84 CJ7 that I've had for about 5 years. Has some rust in the rockers and mechanically needs to be rebuilt (tired). Keep it and probably spend more money putting into it or sell it and find something for a few $'s more that has paint and good mechanicals.
I put Howell FI on it about 4 years ago and have been happy with that.
8 year old son is pretty sentimental about it but....

Seeking everyone's expert opinion here.

Attachments

• IMG_0417 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0417 (Large).jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0077 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0077 (Large).jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0078 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0078 (Large).jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0080 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0080 (Large).jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0083 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0083 (Large).jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
I wish my '84 looked that good I would fix it.

Keep it and fix it. It does not look that bad. With this one you know what you have and what needs to be done. Buying another Jeep might end up doing everything you need to do to this one, then you are back to square one and spend more money. The rust on the body does not look that bad. If the frame is rusted out, now that is a different story.

Keep. You know what needs to be done with this one, next one would be a :dung: shoot. As already mentioned, unless the frame is rotted out, what we see in the pic looks pretty minimal. You have a nice looking 7 ;)

Keep it and fix it. It does not look that bad. With this one you know what you have and what needs to be done. Buying another Jeep might end up doing everything you need to do to this one, then you are back to square one and spend more money. The rust on the body does not look that bad. If the frame is rusted out, now that is a different story.

Yep, my thoughts exactly.
Looks too nice to let it get away.
A lot worse out there........

Looks great to me! I would say as long as the Frame isn't rusted out, then keep, and put the $ towards a engine rebuild. I'm still having trouble understanding what the problems are. Is it body rust, fuel system, electrical, transmission, engine, or just everything??? If you're looking for a turn-key full resto CJ that works every time, then be ready to drop 10-15K. If not, then you gotta expect your CJ to have some gremlins in it. :D

Full length Rocker guards will cover the rust spot you are showing.
What shape is the frame in, as to rust?
LG

Frame is in great shape. I just want to be done with the rust as I don't want it to grow. None of the "modern" body shops will touch it and most others are out a year or more.

So rust is mostly on that passenger rocker, some on the windshield, and around the quarters in the corners, and fenders on the edges.

I live here south of Denver and have had no luck finding a body shop to even give me a price for cut, weld, and primer.

Fill with resin, and fiberglass over it.
No reason you can't learn to do it yourownself. ;)
LG

Fill with resin, and fiberglass over it.
No reason you can't learn to do it yourownself. ;)
LG

It is easy. I learned years ago on an old 81 suburban. By door 3 I was really getting good!

For less than the cost of paying someone to fix it you could do it yourself. Most of the Jeep sheet metal is not curved so cutting and patching is pretty straightforward. There will be a learning curve but it is not that steep and even if it is not perfect, so what? It's a Jeep.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks