Build Thread Jr's 74 CJ5 "fix" and build as I go...

Build Thread Jr's 74 CJ5 "fix" and build as I go...
Got the harness and gauges in from the delivery truck :D:D:D

Saturday Should prove exciting! More to come!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

:chug:

sexy!:D

Nice!

Hi all :chug:

Got some dash work done this last weekend. Re-layout was necessary, the gauge hole sizes, and remembering the roll bar takes up some dash space too was the cause.

So here was the new layout - We did a custom finish on the stainless steel, and cut the gauge holes first:

IMG_1021_zpse2039929.jpg

IMG_1020_zpse60281c0.jpg

Made my stereo and switch panel cuts and installed the switch panel:

IMG_1026_zpse3b0d081.jpg

IMG_1025_zps7fcc46b7.jpg

My Brother also got the defroster finished up:

IMG_1027_zps2d11ebde.jpg

IMG_1028_zps1401ec54.jpg

I'll have to get some better pictures of it soon. Welded aluminum round inlet to the bottom there and actually used shop vac hose for the vent tube.

More soon. Probably will be a week or two.

what are you going to do with 9 switches. I have 4 and have not found a need for 3 of them.:D

lol

there's 8 there.

red = Fan Cut Off - will use in the future with electric fan swap

blue = fuel tank selector switch

3 greens = arb compressor & future front and rear arb lockers

3 ambers = lighting switches 1 daylighters 1 rock lights and 1 for engine compartment of something lighting related ;)

So technically you are right. I can't use them all yet... but plan to! lol

So lots of progress this last weekend. Got the Dash 95% Finished and wired into the new harness.

Bought a new light switch and wiper switch from EZ wiring. So we made the holes for them.

IMG_1043_zps68aa867f.jpg

Did some final test fitting in the jeep and tacked the bottom channel on it to make a finished / safe bottom (no cuts on the shins ;) )

IMG_1047_zps31ed974f.jpg

IMG_1048_zps69fc5806.jpg

While I continued to prepare the under dash area for the wiring, my brother set up the gauges and started wiring in everything we can outside the jeep. Nice shrink wrapped connections on everything.

IMG_1051_zps4b91079a.jpg

IMG_1053_zpsb3c07f8c.jpg

IMG_1054_zps2a48e2da.jpg

IMG_1055_zpseee0b532.jpg

You can see below the stud all the ground are going to, from here there is a ground going to the back of my "oh :dung: " bar bolt, with a battery cable attached to it too way to the left in the photo.

IMG_1056_zpsd60db03d.jpg

Now at some point, I realized there were not blinker and high beam indicators built into these gauges... :bang: oops...

So quick trip to the store and I found some 9/16 hole size LED indicator lights. 2 greens and a Blue :D

You can see the left and high beam indicators here:

IMG_1058_zps563d5d64.jpg

and right blinker indicator here (by the column)

IMG_1063_zps1bcf0709.jpg

Almost like I planned them to be there right? ;)

So... From this old toilet partition:

18340d1409235785-jrs-74-cj5-fix-build-i-go-img_0966.jpg

This... (old Dash)

IMG_0486_zps7846abb0.jpg

became this:

IMG_1060_zps9b1ab6f3.jpg

More to come

Reclamation dash, I like it!

Job well done Sir. Youve really been making this Cj your own lately and I love what youve done. :chug:

I found my switch guards on dabay, 3 for $5. If your looking

DSCN3723_zpsc43d7f8e.png

Looks good man,:chug: makes me want to redo mine.

I found my switch guards on dabay, 3 for $5. If your looking

DSCN3723_zpsc43d7f8e.png

that is a lot better! I managed to purpose 20 or 30 of them from some electronics that were being scrapped, with a DPDT switch :cool:

Thanks all :chug:

I've been needing new gauges and wanted a nicer look to all the controls I need / want.

1/2 of my gauges didn't work, and the wiring was horrid in the whole jeep. Charging problems, PO wiring adds, my wiring adds... everything was just at the point it was not working for me. Last straw was it would not start for my wife when she picked up the boy at school. Finally was at the point the boy ASKED her to pick him up with the jeep, so the not starting for her when there (after it just started at the house) and me having to go get it made up my mind. ;)

I like the switch guards, had one like IO posted on the KC lights before, but will wait to see if I need them. The switch panel is in the area that I don't think there will be many accidental toggles. But if the need arises I'll get something worked out. :rolleyes:

Nest on the list:

* Get the speedo drive gear re-attached to the output shaft on the TC
* Wire Front, Engine compartment, and read of the jeep up
* Cut out body for clearance front and rear fenderwells.
* Strengthen mounts for roll bar in front floorboards
* Re-do the rear drive shaft... AGAIN...

Then time to wheel again for a bit :cool:

With that many switches in a row?? need will arise.:D

Love this thread. My 7 is my daily driver. So, I will also be doing the "fix and build" routine.

Few new pictures from this weekend:

IMG_1077_zpsc03f690b.jpg

IMG_1082_zps0390881f.jpg
Rack is off, but will go back on...

IMG_1081_zps4fb3f47c.jpg

IMG_1080_zps3d35381a.jpg

Getting closer!

Wiring project is 95% Complete - Just misc accessories to wire in now like the ARB on board air, new rock lights, new dome light, CB Radio, stereo, etc.

No long now...

Boy this little CJ5 sure has changed over the years. Yeah the appearance is somewhat different , but Man the performance factor has to have gone way up. Great job. :chug:

You're telling me! Man such a night and day differance from when I drove home the squirlly, 3rd gear grinding, painted 3 colors, rats nest wired, most gauges not working etc etc money pit a few years ago...

Here's the perspective pick from when I got it:

6776d1318860168-jrs-74-cj5-fix-build-i-go-img00067-20110120-1847.jpg

6777d1318860168-jrs-74-cj5-fix-build-i-go-img00068-20110120-1848.jpg

6778d1318860168-jrs-74-cj5-fix-build-i-go-img00069-20110120-2042.jpg

My picture taking abilities are better now too! lol

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks