Jeep TH400 Technical Information

Jeep TH400 Technical Information

Peanut Butter

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ7 TH400 Automatic 258 I6 Quadratrac Amc 20 rear & Dana 30 front, 32 x 11.5 x 15 tires. Currently a Complete Custom Rebuild in progress.

Also I own a 2001 Jeep Cherokee, White, all stock with 4.0L. automatic, and police package. Best part of that is it came with leather seats! This package also has the NP242 Transfer Case, 8.25 rear end, and trailer towing package.
This Jeep TH400 Technical Information thread is based on information that I have gathered after discovering that my own TH400 :confused: was not a Chevy housing but a BOP Housing from a Cadillac.

The Turbo Hydromatic 400 automatic transmission was found in Jeep CJs from 1976 to 1979. It was only in the CJ7 due to it's length. :down: It was also found in the full size Jeep SJs from 1967 to 1979. There are two different housings made for the TH400 found in Jeeps. One is referred to as the AMC Jeep Housing and the other is the GM Housing. Within the GM Housing there are three different bolt patterns that correspond to different GM makes. Here they are:

The first is the Chevy Bolt Pattern

Chevy_BP1_zpsde624988.gif

The second is the Buick, Olds, Pontiac, and Cadillac bolt pattern commonly referred to as the BOP.

BOP_zpse84f0d4d.gif

The third pattern is a combination of the other two, known as the Dual Bolt Pattern.

Dual_BP_zps6e634609.gif

Here is a picture of the Jeep Housing. It can be easily identified by the numerous bolt holes. :punk:

dscf3199_zps59b55fea.jpg

There are two other ways to identify which TH400 you have. If it is still there and still readable, you should find a small plate riveted to the passenger side of the transmission. :booze: This tag will have a design in different colors that was printed on it. There will also be a set of stamped numbers incase the printing is worn off. The stamped numbers on the plate are coded. Fist is the year it was built. In my example 1976. The next two digits are two letter codes for the make and model of the vehicle it was made for. In my example J stands for Jeep, but I'm not sure of what model the M stands for. Here is my example:

WP_20150214_003_zps4325c7ee.jpg

Here are some of the other codes. A complete list can be found in many TH400 repair books.

B - Buick; A - Cadillac; P - Pontiac; O - Olds; C - Chevy; MA - AM General Military Truck; N - Checker; Z - Jaguar; K & J - Jeep; and R - Rolls Royce

The second way to identify the type of TH400 is the serial number which is usually located on the drivers side bottom flange. The first three digits indicate the plant it was made in, the year, and the month. I don't have this chart but you might find it on the internet by doing a search. The picture below shows the stamped serial number:

20130711_110213_zpsc0e62312.jpg

The TH400 is a three speed transmission. It has the following gear ratios:

1ST - 2:48 2ND - 1:48 and 3RD - 1

All Jeeps came with a steering column shifter that incorporated a solid linkage. There are however many different after market shifters such as the solid linkage Lokar (Lokar: Automatic Transmission Shifters) to the cable B&M (B&M HOME B&M) or the custom cable JB Custom Fabrication Shifter (JB Custom Fabrication). You can even create a hybrid system by using the OEM Column Shifter and a Lokar cable (Lokar: Column Cable Shift Linkage).

No mater what type of TH400 you might have, you can be sure you are in good hands with a heavy duty transmission. Many of the TH400 were found in Chevy trucks, both 2wd and 4wd. The TH400 can handle lots of power and torque. :oops: It was used on big block 454 & 396 Chevys, but was also found on the AMC I6. This transmission with for the most part all mechanical shifting is still used on many different type of vehicles. The newer 4L80 and 4L60 are based off of this TH400. With a book and a video, a person with some good mechanical skills can rebuild this transmission at home, making it one of the most desired transmissions in 4wd wheeling. Hope this information is helpful to you all. :driving: Thanks, Rod

Thanks for the details and very good/clear pictures.
:chug:
LG

Good to know. I have a th400 in mine and am going to scrap the gunk off to see exactly what I have. Thanks!

Thanks for the post Peanut Butter. Great info to be able to search on the site.
So did the PO use an adapter plate to put the BOP TH400 on your 258, then swap the the transfer case adapter and output shaft from the original tranny?

Yes an adapter was used. Not sure if it is an original adapter or aftermarket, so far I have not seen any markings on it. :confused: As for the tail shaft, that is a guess too. From my research there were some oem setups like this in the FSJ trucks. The transmission is a 73 model so it is possible. Also looks like the rear differential may be out of a FSJ Truck. So it is possible that the entire ;) drivetrain was transplanted from a FSJ truck to my CJ.

Thanks for the post Peanut Butter. Great info to be able to search on the site.

Maybe this will make the technical forum so that a search would be easier. :D Rod

20130711_110109_zpsdb76e85a.jpg

No mater what type of TH400 you might have, you can be sure you are in good hands with a heavy duty transmission. Many of the TH400 were found in Chevy trucks, both 2wd and 4wd. The TH400 can handle lots of power and torque. :oops: It was used on big block 454 & 396 Chevys, but was also found on the AMC I6. This transmission with for the most part all mechanical shifting is still used on many different type of vehicles. The newer 4L80 and 4L60 are based off of this TH400. With a book and a video, a person with some good mechanical skills can rebuild this transmission at home, making it one of the most desired transmissions in 4wd wheeling. Hope this information is helpful to you all. :driving: Thanks, Rod[/QUOTE]

Thanks PB, good info for sure! I have the T400 in my 76 CJ and that is one of the reasons I really like the jeep. Seriously heavy duty! And it makes it easy to :chug: while idling down the trail. :D

No mater what type of TH400 you might have, you can be sure you are in good hands with a heavy duty transmission. Many of the TH400 were found in Chevy trucks, both 2wd and 4wd. The TH400 can handle lots of power and torque. :oops: It was used on big block 454 & 396 Chevys, but was also found on the AMC I6. This transmission with for the most part all mechanical shifting is still used on many different type of vehicles. The newer 4L80 and 4L60 are based off of this TH400. With a book and a video, a person with some good mechanical skills can rebuild this transmission at home, making it one of the most desired transmissions in 4wd wheeling. Hope this information is helpful to you all. :driving: Thanks, Rod

Thanks PB, good info for sure! I have the T400 in my 76 CJ and that is one of the reasons I really like the jeep. Seriously heavy duty! And it makes it easy to :chug: while idling down the trail. :D[/QUOTE]Thanks for the good information.
I wonder how hard it would be to upgrade the th400 to include a overdrive for the highway speeds?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yes an adapter was used. Not sure if it is an original adapter or aftermarket, so far I have not seen any markings on it. :confused: As for the tail shaft, that is a guess too. From my research there were some oem setups like this in the FSJ trucks. The transmission is a 73 model so it is possible. Also looks like the rear differential may be out of a FSJ Truck. So it is possible that the entire ;) drivetrain was transplanted from a FSJ truck to my CJ.

Maybe this will make the technical forum so that a search would be easier. :D Rod

20130711_110109_zpsdb76e85a.jpg

I picked up a 73 waggy with the th400, would it be the same as your 73 th400 ? I am wanting to put it in my 80 CJ7

Last TH 400 I put in a car was a 72 383 SBC El Camino it was a brute, had it rebuilt to shift hard and it would bark the tires in every gear. Another id is it's very distinctive pan. Nice write-up.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks