It's alive!

It's alive!

elwood blues

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ7 4.2L Comp Cam & valve train, MC2100 carb, MSD ignition, Dana 30 front, T18 trans, Dana 20 txfr, AMC 20 rear.
The motorcraft carb is on, and it runs! A big thanks to coldwater for his help in sorting out the vacuum lines :chug:. Now, all I have to do is fab up a throttle bracket, and I'll be in like flinn.

Attachments

• DSC_0051.JPG
    DSC_0051.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC_0052.JPG
    DSC_0052.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 156
The motorcraft carb is on, and it runs! A big thanks to coldwater for his help in sorting out the vacuum lines :chug:. Now, all I have to do is fab up a throttle bracket, and I'll be in like flinn.

SWEET! How's it run? If I may offer a bit of advice, I think you may need to adjust your fuel filter orientation just a bit. On the back side you have 2 outlets, one to the carb, and one for a return line to the fuel tank. It was designed to stop the vapor lock demons by returning hot fuel and bubbles to the tank to cool and return to the loop. The 2 outlets on the filter should be stacked over each other, kind of like an over under shotgun. The top line goes to the return line to the tank, and the bottom line will go to the carb. From time to time you may have little fuel gremlins pop up if their not correct, and it will drive you nuts trying to figure it out. The job looks great! now all you have to do is get rid of that damn EGR pod and make a little block off plate.:D

I didn't know that about the fuel filter. I'll take care of that tomorrow. As for the EGR, it's only on there because I don't have a cover plate, but the vacuum lines are plugged :rolleyes:

It seams to run well, no spipitting or sputtering. The flowmaster sounds pretty good too. One more question, the new exhaust manifold was smoking, is that just the coating baking off?

I didn't know that about the fuel filter. I'll take care of that tomorrow. As for the EGR, it's only on there because I don't have a cover plate, but the vacuum lines are plugged :rolleyes:

It seams to run well, no spipitting or sputtering. The flowmaster sounds pretty good too. One more question, the new exhaust manifold was smoking, is that just the coating baking off?

Probably just some bit of :dung: burning off. It should be gone pretty soon unless you have a leak of some sort.

I searched high and low with a flashlight looking for any signs of anything leaking and couldn't find anything. The manifold itself is what seemed to be smoking, it wasn't coming from any one place, kind of all over.

All new exhausts (or ones that have oil on them) smoke for a bit. No matter how careful you are, oil from your hands will get on them or if they are freshly painted, it will cook...

Thanks CJ, that makes me feel a lot better.

That side of the engine has no place for it to leak from as far as oil goes. It would have to come from the valve cover because there is just no other breach in the block like bolts or fittings that can fail. I was refering to the possibility of an exhaust leak at the nanifold gasket, but I doubt that it is. A single drop of oil or grease will make a little rukkus for a little while, then quit. If It was a new manifold, they often come with a protective coating that raises a little hell and stinks for a bit.

Like when you spill oil on the manifold when you're changing the oil, smokes like crazy for a little while then it's gone. It is (was) a brand new exhaust manifold, maybe I should have said that from the get go :)

I still haven't gotten the throttle bracket fabricated yet, I've been on vaction all week so I haven't gotten that far yet, but just from the initial start-up I noticed a big difference in idle and throttle response.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks