Is it a Renegade or Laredo?

Is it a Renegade or Laredo?

Chad81CJ7Neal

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ-7, 258 6 Cyl, Dana 300 transfer case, Dana 30 up front, AMC 20 out back, 4 speed manual, Tan hard top and doors, White, bone stock for now.
I can't figure out what my 1981 CJ7 is, how do I do this?

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 369
I can't figure out what my 1981 CJ7 is, how do I do this?

Well there is a build plate on it that might be still there. From a quick 30 second look it's missing key Laredo features such as Laredo side steps, chrome wheels, chrome grill overlay. That's not to sane someone didn't remove these items but if it never had those, not a Laredo.

Does the hard top say golden bronze in the Corner of the dude glass?

Based on your picture, It's neither one. It might have been one at one time, but has since then been rebuilt and those signs (items/decals/etc) seem to be gone. That's OK. Its still a nice CJ7 and its YOURS.
While the actual VIN number doesn't designate a body package, there are trim codes and a few signs that will not guarantee a certain package, but could indicate one.

Under the firewall wiring block under the hood is a trim tag with the VIN on top and a seat code on the bottom right. IF your seats are 1EJ or 9EJ it could be a Laredo. 1 is black seats and 9 is Honey seats. E is high back bucket and J is for it Vinyl Italian purse vertical strips.
The reason I'm focusing on this is because these seats were just used in the Laredo's of 81 to 86.

A past Renegade will be harder to determine. Post more pictures of the inside, the codes/vin, whatever and we can make better guesses from there.

Here's what the tag on the firewall says.

Jeep Corp​
Toledo OH USA​
J213323 87​
08 1C 5EB​
1JCCM87E98T012228​
On the Block is - 010030​
The Intake has - EF3237858​
Thanks for the help, She is a beauty for sure, and fun as I remember a CJ7 driving.:D

Found out on a FB page with the numbers that it's a "Renegade"!! Yay!! The mystery is over!! Lol. Thanks for the help!:chug:

I can only assume that the "face book" connection is using the same method I would have used which is a GUESS at best. Again, the VIN doesn't tell you the package.
In your case it tells me you have an 81 CJ7 with a 258 and a 4 speed. The "8" you have in the middle should be a "B" for the year.

The seats you have or had are Nutmeg high back in vinyl denim. That would be the indication of a Renegade. Only the full size Jeeps in the Renegade got cloth seats. Look for "Levis" buttons on yours as confirmation.

Just in case you care to know....your engine appears to be original with a build code of October 30th 1980. The "O" in the 4th position should be a "C" for a 258.

Your exterior color was a Sherwood Green Metallic and the inside interior was nutmeg.

I think the 08 is the paint gun code.

Your Jeep is not a Renegade. It could have been one at one time, or you could modify it to be one, but as it sits it is not. The Renegade version of a Jeep was simply a cosmetic package combined with several options that were available to any base Jeep. There was no performance mods to it besides the off road tire option, which really wasn't an improvement when it came to being off road.

^ I agree, it's neither without the cosmetic package.

Your Jeep is not a Renegade. It could have been one at one time, or you could modify it to be one, but as it sits it is not. The Renegade version of a Jeep was simply a cosmetic package combined with several options that were available to any base Jeep. There was no performance mods to it besides the off road tire option, which really wasn't an improvement when it came to being off road.

That would be true for any CJ package if the package specific stuff were missing. I think the question is was it originally a Laredo. To me that is important because i am not going to slap a Golden Eagle onto my hood when i get my jeep painted if it came from the factory as a Laredo.

I agree. But without more pics or all the details it's impossible to say. And even then some of the tell tale signs could be just options added to the base or parts replaced from another Jeep. The trim tag could only indicate similar partial features.

I don't care for creating a "fake" pedigree either, ie: adding Renegade decals, but guys do it all the time.:(

I appreciate all the input, just to be clear, all I wanted to know was if it "could have been either one. I am thinking about going back to original with it but haven't decided. I love finding out all the info I can on something cause I'm anal that way. Lol. That color mentioned above I've never seen before but think it would be cool to have. I'm leaning toward a mid to lighter colored blue with metallic flake and prob putting the Renegade stickers on it since it's as close as anyone can tell anyway. I have a long way to go though, just found out today that It needs a new clutch kit and a bunch of little stuff before I go full bore with paint, lift, tires, etc. I'm just excited to be back in a CJ again.:notworthy::D

I appreciate the input as well. You guys are like a dog with a bone when you get "on topic ". Always a pleasure watching your minds work... Impressive wealth of knowledge ;-)

I'm partial to blue. Slate blue in particular.
jeeps_at_red_light_in_cooper_s_gap.jpg

not that i really care but if i don't have some stickers and steps its no longer a Laredo?

Yes, I don't think you should care. All I have left is the yellow cracked Laredo badge on the glove compartment and a non-working clock. I don't need any of that stuff to say that mine is a BAMF.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks