Intake manifold cleaning

Intake manifold cleaning

Petescj

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ-7 258 / T-18 / Dana 300 31 in All Terrains.
1978 CJ-7 304 / TH 400 / Quadratrac 32 in Mud Terrains
So I've torn everything off my engine block to clean and paint. I haven't had much luck cleaning up the intake manifold as opposed to everything else. Anything special I can pick up to get it clearer? It would be an eye sore to put back on now that everything else is cleaned up.

On that type of rough cast finish. I have had good luck use'n Comet with adult and child size toothbrushes.
LG

I've had great luck just using a can of brake cleaner and a toothbrush. But this was on aluminum. For Cast, I would say do the same thing :D

I like oven cleaner has worked great for me in the past. Was turned on to it by a old timer.

I had started with the brake cleaner but wasn't getting very good results. I have to look around for some toothbrushes. I didn't have any downstairs. The oven cleaner is probably what I'll try just cause I know Vicki is going to get some very soon. :D

" The oven cleaner is probably what I'll try just cause I know Vicki is going to get some very soon. "

:laugh:

Bet the oven cleaner smells better that that paint 'cooking'.....:poke:
How comfy is the couch you might be sleep'n on?:D
LG

I had started with the brake cleaner but wasn't getting very good results. I have to look around for some toothbrushes. I didn't have any downstairs. The oven cleaner is probably what I'll try just cause I know Vicki is going to get some very soon. :D

Just don't steal Vicki or the kids toothbrushes, I've caught hell for that before :dunno:

If you've got the money Pete, take it to your local machine shop and have them dip and sand blast it, ~$25.

Got a feel'n that the money will now be go'n towards a bouquet of 'forgive-me flowers'. :D
LG

I cleaned mine with 2 inch scotch disc on an angle die grander.

Before, just scrubed with a brush.
20130613_111758_zps9nlsers3.jpg

After the Scotch pad
20130613_131427_zpsd10cf71b.jpg

After Paint:JeepRestro091_zps07a6a9f8.jpg

If you've got the money Pete, take it to your local machine shop and have them dip and sand blast it, ~$25.

If I can't get it clean myself that's the next step.

I cleaned mine with 2 inch scotch disc on an angle die grander.

Before, just scrubed with a brush.
20130613_111758_zps9nlsers3.jpg

After the Scotch pad
20130613_131427_zpsd10cf71b.jpg

After Paint:JeepRestro091_zps07a6a9f8.jpg

I never really thought about painting mine but it would make it easier to keep clean.

Spray with muriatic acid. Stay up wind. Both this and oven cleaner are very nasty fumes.

If you can find a large enough pan, boiling water with dish soap works very well.

Why paint the intake? Too close to exhaust to last long, I would think.

I haven't heated the engine up yet, so we will see what stays painted once that is done. I did use a high temp ceramic urethane for paint. It's almost like a hard cover over the metal. Painted everything, so we'll see!

WP_20150127_010_zpsabde9765.jpg

I haven't heated the engine up yet, so we will see what stays painted once that is done. I did use a high temp ceramic urethane for paint. It's almost like a hard cover over the metal. Painted everything, so we'll see!

WP_20150127_010_zpsabde9765.jpg

sure looks good for the moment. Maybe you should take a lot of pictures so you can remember the look.

We used to use simple green.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Simple Green is a very good all-around cleaner.
Even more so with a pressure washer.
LG

sure looks good for the moment. Maybe you should take a lot of pictures so you can remember the look.

Geeeee, IO. I replaced the valve cover gasket. :D It should look pretty for awhile!

Here is a SBC TBI intake that I cleaned in a glass bead blast cabinet. Took about 15 mins, no prep, easy money. The biggest pain is getting the glass media out of all the nooks and crannies and bolt holes.

IMG_0234%20-%20Copy.png

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks