Misc. Ignition switch rack

Misc. Ignition switch rack

Super8mm

Active Jeeper
Bronze Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ5, 4 cyl, Borg Warner/Ford SR-4 4 spd, Dana 300 transfer case.
Start a heart transplant mid November with LS1 and SM465 :-)
My 80 CJ5 has a problem with turning the key on and wont go far enough to start it.
I am guessing the Ignition rack is messed up, probably bent or full of crud.

Can I get to it with out pulling the whole steering column out?

I looked at a new universal with tilt but it was over $500 but I cant spend that much right now as I need to get my SM465 transmission installed.

You don't need to pull the column, just the wheel. Here is a good pic and a thread on it. Is your column tilt or non tilt?
column_internals.jpg

Thanks, that looks great.

Mine is not a tilt wheel

Why not eliminate the ignition lock and key altogether? I installed a push button and remote start on mine and love it. Then a column with no ignition lock at all.
I might replace the column later to a tilt but for now I need to get it running so I can get the transmission replaced

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Agreed for a quicker and less expensive fix, just get the Dorman kit and get it working. When I did my push button, I just did the ignition electrical stuff first. I replaced the column later on as a separate project so I could also get tilt and eliminate the lock cylinder in the column. No need to do both at the same time if you don't want.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks