Diff I need an AMC 20 cover with a fill hole

Differentials
Diff I need an AMC 20 cover with a fill hole

NotTJ

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ7 258 T150 D20 D30 AMC20 33" Yoko MT
As I was finishing my alloy shaft and locker install on the AMC20 I realized the fill plug should be tended to. The fill plug on my axle has been rounded off and even tapping in the next size up allen or torx won't make it budge...with heat. SO that sent me to tap a piece of 3/8 for 1/2-20 and used a 1/2-20 oil drain plug to seal it...I was just gonna weld this piece of 3/8 steel into the stock cover. Then I got to thinking about how much easier it would be to just swap the whole cover. The problem is I don't want chrome, I don't want aluminum, and I don't want over priced. The only good fair priced one is the OX cover for about $120. Are there any plain stamped steel diff covers with a filler hole? Or plain cast/fabricated/welded covers with fill holes?

Nice ones are not cheap from what I have seen out there.

I got this one from Amazon for about $150 (also available on 4WheelParts.com, RealTruck.com, others). It has a drain hole in the bottom. You'd have to make a fill hole in it. It's beefy (3/8 steel). Notice the ".44 caliber tested" note (hope I never encounter that on the road or trail).

cover.jpg

Well I ordered an OX cover a couple weeks ago. Nothing shipped. So I had to add my own fill hole. First I marked a hole at the same height as the factory fill port out back. Then I welded in a piece of 3/8" steel that I had tapped to 1/2"-20.

IMG_9161.jpeg

Then test fit cover and paint. Reinstalled cover with new zinc plated bolts which shouldn't seize in there like 11 of 12 original torx.
IMG_9162.jpeg

Finally topped it off with a 9/16" head drain plug and copper crush washer. Don't mind the wonky brake line and crusty stuff on the frame...i swear its all solid but I just haven't go to cleaning it and bending a nice low profile hard line that won't get caught by branches on the trail.
IMG_9167.jpeg

Maybe a drain plug at the bottom while you're at it? Then easy fluid changes.

I just needed a way to fill it and had to get it done quick. That was like 10 minutes of work. I don't think the AMC20 is getting any more work. So far its locked and alloy shafted.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks