I bought a Harley Davidson

I bought a Harley Davidson

BusaDave9

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ5 with 304 V8, T18 Transmission, Dana 20 Transfer case with TeraLow 3:1 gears, 4.88 axle gears, Detroit Locker up front and Ox Locker in back with 1 piece axle shafts, 36" SuperSwamper SX Tires, Shackle reversal, MileMarker Hydraulic winch, MSD 6A ignition.
Harley-Electra-Glide-web_zps18004add.jpg
I've always wanted a big full dress Harley. At the end of this month I am going back to Minnesota and when I was checking flights I decided I didn't want the hassles of flying. Instead I got a 2009 Harley Davidson Electra Glide.

I'm excited about my trip. It is 2430 miles round trip and I'll be in the saddle 39 hours before I get back home.

Congratulations Dave, fine looking bike. Enjoy your trip and be save.

I own a 76 Shovelhead.

still got the crotch rocket??

shall we call you Harley Dave?:D

that is a very nice ride.:notworthy:

Last edited:
Yes, I still have the Hayabusa. It's fun for the mountain roads around here but I wouldn't want to take it to Minnesota. The Harley will be nice for that.

God I love this bike. I'm riding it as much as I can. It's takes a lot of getting used to. Going from a Hayabusa to an Electra Glide is a big change.

When I was on the Busa I'd wave to the Harley riders and they would ignore me as if they were thinking 'I don't have anything in common with you'. I was left thinking they were all jerks and stopped waving to the Harley riders. Now I'm on the Harley and wave to a sport bike rider and he ignores me. I'm thinking "Hey, I'm one of you . . . ya JERK!"

This reminds me of the Jeep wave. People in jeeps often wave at each other. But if you are in a CJ and wave to someone in a new JK they ignore you as if they are thinking 'I don't have anything in common with you'. I don't wave at JK's any more.

The Harley controls take getting used to. Separate turn signal switches on each handlebar. I find the right turn signal doesn't do a good job of starting the engine. And the left isn't loud enough to get someone out of the way when he pulls out in front of me.
Plus I have a heel shifter. Instead of pushing up on the shift lever with my toe I can press down with my heel on the heel shifter. I've never had a cycle like that but I like it.

Fun when you get used to it. I like a heel-shifter...

Rode... a custom Harley. My old man builds 'em. Sweet little ride we called "Brass Monkey". He just up & sold her one day... still pissed.

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Tapatalk

he7uvene.jpg
Still have my Sportster...

That's the "Iron Maiden".

Last edited:
he7uvene.jpg

I like that. Hood ornament and all.

Thanx. Sweet old Ironhead. She's a '77. Think I listed her on my stats incorrectly as a '79...

Yeah. Picked up the Flying Lady at a swap meet. Just had to have her when I saw her...

uny7a2ad.jpg
Me on Iron Maiden
Yep. That's a Sportster...

Last edited:
I just got back from Fairbault Minnesota. I rode my Harley there from my home in Durango Colorado to attend my son's wedding.

It was 2867 miles round trip.
In total I spent 51 hours in the saddle.
That's an average of 56 MPH.

It took longer than planned. Why? Because on the way out there, I decided not to take the Interstate across Nebraska. That's a boring state and I enjoyed the smaller highways a lot more than the interstate that always looks the same.

I had perfect weather on the way out there. I didn't have such luck on the way back. I knew thunderstorms were on the way. I spent a lot of time checking the weather forecasts for the best route. I found out that if I first headed south I could delay the storms but then I would hit them in Nebraska or Kansas. I then decided to head due west right into the storms. If I could make it half way through South Dakota the next day would be nice.

I put on my rain gear and left in the rain. On the interstate I could see a big storm ahead of me with lots of lightning. I headed strait into it. After 3 hours it stopped raining. After I dried off I saw another storm in front of me. My destination was southwest so I decided this was a good time to head south to avoid the storm. I took to the smaller highways.

I got wet a lot that day but I also think I did a good job of avoiding the storms. I could often see the storms and avoid them. Once it starts raining you can't see the clouds or what way to get out of the storm. At one time I headed north, the exact wrong direction, but it was away from the storm I could see.

You can see my trip was much longer than if I was taking a car and didn't care about the rain.

Even with all the rain I had a great time. Oh and the wedding was perfect.

Sounds like an EPIC adventure, Dave. How long were you gone? Rain hurts like hell. Guess you have some really good rain-gear to be weathering that kinda storm:) Glad you made it back safely...

still got the crotch rocket??

shall we call you Harley Dave?:D

that is a very nice ride.:notworthy:

You've got your Sportbike name. Now you need a real biker name... How about RainMan;)

Sounds like an EPIC adventure, Dave. How long were you gone? Rain hurts like hell. Guess you have some really good rain-gear to be weathering that kinda storm:) Glad you made it back safely...
I was gone 7 days.

As I was approaching Cheyenne WY I passed a semi going the wrong way on the Interstate at about 11 pm. Someone must have called 911 about it because I saw a cop going that way a little later.
Scary but I hope it turned out ok. I didn't hear anything on the news.

I was gone 7 days.

As I was approaching Cheyenne WY I passed a semi going the wrong way on the Interstate at about 11 pm. Someone must have called 911 about it because I saw a cop going that way a little later.
Scary but I hope it turned out ok. I didn't hear anything on the news.

Glad you were paying attention. Everything's a little scarier when there's nothing between you & the asphalt...

Btw, how's Koda like riding "bitch" , behind you on that Dresser?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks