How to take off shifter.

Yup-
LG

Brush the dirt away before you open it up.
Use sealer when you re-attach shifter.
LG

I used a gasket and sealer. Don't forget to get some engine thread sealer while you are at it. Nothing more frustrating than putting things back together and having the bolts leak around the threads.

Make sure you cover the transmission hole, I usually stuff a towel in there, covering with duct tape is prettier though. You don't want to get any more junk n the trans. than you have to.

Make sure the shifter is in neutral before you remove it from the case! It will make things a LOT easier to get the shifter lined back up.
Also, You can't just drop the shifter back in the hole, it MUST line up the forks with the shift collars to operate properly, and avoid breakage.

mylittleCJ5 is correct of course, but I have to admit that I couldn't help myself and it can be fairly educational to fiddle with the gears to see how your transmission really works. The T-15 is a sliding sleeve design, rather than moving great clusters of gears it moves a sleeve arrangement back and forth with reverse and first controlled by one sleeve then third and fourth by another. Also the way your shift lever works can be enlightening. But, I admit that I rebuilt my transmission so how it works came along with getting the job done. You will notice that the shift forks have a plastic substance on them, it's actually nylon. The stuff is extremely tough to stand up to all that goes on in a transmission. But as was said above, if you fiddle with the trans, make sure both front and rear sleeves are in neutral along with the stick. Then simply make sure the forks slid into their groves and you are good to go. I'd put it on and synch down a couple bolts then run it through the gears to make sure everything is where it's supposed to be, then finish installing the bolts.

Thank goodness for these old (OLD) posts. They are super for reference on my little project!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks