How to handle CJ5 frame and tub rust - pics

How to handle CJ5 frame and tub rust - pics

ewerbeck

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5 4.2L 258. Dana 20 T-Case, T150 3-speed manual trans. Dana 30 front. AMC 20 rear.
I'm a complete newbie and probably paid too much :censored: for a CJ with frame rust. It also has some rust under the tub and I should've been clued in by the extensive diamond plating.

That being said--I'm wondering how to handle the frame rust. It looks like someone already welded on reinforcements to one side(?). Do I need to remove the body to deal with the frame rust? Do I need to remove the body to handle the body rust or can I work from underneath? The reason this is a big issue, is that I don't have much space to work/store stuff. I might have to find another place to work in. Please let me know what you guys think.

FRAME:
IMG_3282.JPG

IMG_3281.JPG

OPPOSITE SIDE and TUB:
IMG_3276.JPG

first thing to ask your self is how comfortable are you with welding. that is the frame of a vehicle your going to be driving on the road your patchng together. With that much rot I would look into a different frame. or atleast the rear half of a better frame. Unforunately I looked for a CJ 5 frame in Fl for quite awhile and never came up with any thing. We ended up cutting the rear frame a decent CJ 7 frame that I had here and swapped em. Where you at in FL? If your local to central I may be able to come look at it for you. Looks like some one else has already done some butch repairs on it.

Hey Jimbo,

I've never welded anything in my life... but I guess that's pretty much where this has to go, huh? I wonder if I could find someone who would weld on pieces for me? Either way it seems like that kind of work to the frame would require everything being removed from the frame first... then I'd have a transportation issue getting the frame to someone so they could weld it.

Am I essentially looking at a frame-up restoration? As a complete newbie that is going to be a ton of work. I am down for it, if I can find a place with enough space to perform such a task.

I am really kicking myself for not spotting this frame rust beforehand. I think i saw a post somewhere regarding ordering a frame from out of state and having it delivered. Did you consider that when you had your frame issues?

I did consider getting one from out of state but I had a frame that was solid in the rear (like my wife) but rotted up front. Between the two of us we were able to get it straight and level. once it was all back together there was a 1/4" difference between the rear corners but that could have been caused by about 20 different things.

If you look at welding shops I think most cost about $50 to $70 an hour for labor plus you have to have to hope they can align it straight. Next option is to buy a crappy flux core welder. tack weld every thing where you want it then pay for them to finish weld it.. once you getthat deep into replacement panels, welder, labor etc it might be cheaper and easier to find a solid frame some place else.. a good frame shouldnt run more then $500 if its absolutely rust free.

Throttle Down Kustoms Steel Frame TDK-FRAME76-83CJ5

you can also check with collins bros jeeps for a frame..

you can also check search tempest.. it will hit all the CL in your area.. which you never said where your at.

Or you could find a front end wrecked or rotted CJ frame and hack the back half off. Or find a good CJ frame and cut it down to size. It would still require welding but no where near as much . IF you swap a solid back half of a frame its really just cut and weld then reinforcement plates.. Google CJ frame stretch and you will see how people cut and weld frames.. obviously you want to shorten not lengthen..

Sorry, I'm in Bradenton... I will check those places out.

I did see a recent frame on Craigslist... but it is already sold.

Jeep CJ-5

Id call this guy to find out what he wants for the whole jeep.

IF his frame is solid and the tub is good it will save you a whole lot of time repairing stuff. I would pay more then 1250 for it.. Id show up with a trailer and $750 offer and go up from there. The tub if clean is about $500, the frame another $500.. the axles depending on thier gearing or condition and shape of yours you may want to use those. or sell em.. plus it looks like the tank is still installed. With as much rot as your frame has I bet that thing spent some time on the beach.. Another roller would probably be best for you.

Hey bud,

Thanks for the heads-up. That seems like a decent idea. Problem is, I'll have to find someone with a trailer. Hopefully the frame and tub is in decent condition. That'd be a good start to this project.

EW

Try joining tbaja.com or misfitjeepers.com. They are jeep forums that a lot of members in your area that may be able to help for some gas money. Or u haul rents trailers.

Done.

I'm currently trying to work out some space for this project -- what I have at home won't do for a frame-off type work. I hope to get that squared away this week and pick up a frame sometime after that. This looks like a good option though. Emailed the guy, hasn't responded yet. Might try to call him soon. Also going to check collins bros.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks