How tall are you?? I mean really.

How tall are you?? I mean really.

IOPort51

NOT the voice of reason Jeep-CJ.com
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 cj-5
4.2 W/MC2100 carb, 4.0 head W/3 angle valves,SS Header,TFI ignition with MSB-6 offroad module,CS144 140 amp RPS alternator with remote regulator T-150,d-20,Dana 44 with OX lock and disk brakes. D-30 with Spartin locker,
skyjacker 2.5 lift?nitro shocks,31" BFG A/T off road.8000 lb Warn winch, original owner.=^)

2006 Toyota Tacoma
Hey gang!!
Hope to satisfy my curiosity on something and need a little help to do it.

Here is the information.

who: anybody that knows or think they know what amount of suspension lift they have, including those with no lift at all.

what: Two dimensions, setting on reasonably flat level ground.
1) measure the distance from the center of the wheel hub to the ground.
2) This is the hard one, measure from the top of the body mount drivers side front. that is the one near the drivers feet. Measure from the top of the mount not the top of the pad or the bottom of the body.

Why: This is one of the top 10 most popular questions, "how much lift do I have". With enough information it should be possible to establish a relevant base line for "stock".

If you want to throw in your tire size and an evaluation of if you think you have suitable lift, as long as your typing and have a tape measure in your hand and all.:D:D

Does it have to have a body on the frame to get these measurements? :)

for now I would say no
just as long as you have some clue how much lift it is "supposed to have".:D

How much would you guess the body weighed, I have never removed one.

Does it have to have a body on the frame to get these measurements? :)

Bare tub alone I would guess about 200-250. I can move one around by myself but can't pick it up.
I'll get some measurements on mine today. Its sitting on 35" tires and I figure the lift at about 6".

13.5" to center of hub.
19.25" to top of mount.
235/75R15 tires.
NO lift.
1985 CJ7.

17" to center of hub. (in the grass)

26" to top of body mount.

BFG Mud Terrains 35x12.50x15

4" Superlift and I have after market shackles, but unsure if they are extended. What's the stock length of a shackle..?

for now I would say no
just as long as you have some clue how much lift it is "supposed to have".:D

How much would you guess the body weighed, I have never removed one.

I don't think my suspension settled even just a little bit when I put the tub on... in fact, I don't think it moves when my 300 lbs climbs into the seat :eek:

15 1/2" to center of hub.

22 1/2 to the front mount.
23 1/2 to the rear mount. (in front of the rear wheel)

33" mtz's with 6 year old 4" superlift springs and stock lenght shackles.
I also have a V8 and winch with heavy bumpers.
I know the front has settled some over the years, so I included the rear mount.

Last edited:
1980 CJ7 304 8000lb winch on front 33" mud terrains

16-1/2" ground to hub
24" ground to top of front mount by drivers feet.

Obviously I must have a lift, previous owner said it did not only longer shackles..+1" probably explains the harsh--ish ride..

The 33" rub on the springs at full turn of the wheel but that's the only rub I have noticed.

Good idea. Hopefully we get alot of participants. I'll add mine whithin the next few days. :chug:

OK so I think we have enough information to get this into the range of a pretty close guess.
By the way, mine is 14 to the center and 21 to the top of the mount. and I paid for a 2.5 inch lift about 15 years ago.

the estimate I am making puts a new stock suspension someplace around 5.5" of difference. that is subtracting the center of the wheel from the top of the mount.

Generally if you have a 7 to 7.5" difference you paid for a 2-2.5" lift and in the neighborhood of 9" will be 4" lift.

What we need now is some brand new lift kit measurements to see how much lift actual vs. advertised.:D

Hopefully there is not any major variation between CJ5 and 7

One more important piece of information would be wether you think you have enough lift for the rubber you are running?

you need some rims with a smaller back space.:D
by the numbers you could come close to be running 35s if you wanted to.:cool:
Personally, I like 33s they make for a more pleasant driving experience.:)

1980 CJ7 304 8000lb winch on front 33" mud terrains

16-1/2" ground to hub
24" ground to top of front mount by drivers feet.

Obviously I must have a lift, previous owner said it did not only longer shackles..+1" probably explains the harsh--ish ride..

The 33" rub on the springs at full turn of the wheel but that's the only rub I have noticed.

Well my lift is new, has less than 500 miles on it, if that's what you mean.. and i could get it into the street for a good solid measurement, it was in the grass..

I would say you got what you paid for.:D

Well my lift is new, has less than 500 miles on it, if that's what you mean.. and i could get it into the street for a good solid measurement, it was in the grass..

I would say you got what you paid for.:D

Oh, and I still haven't measured my shackles, but if 3" is stock then I know they're longer than that..

the angle of the shackles would be interesting as well.:cool:

Oh, and I still haven't measured my shackles, but if 3" is stock then I know they're longer than that..

They are 3-3/4" center of bolts, front and rear, so not much different just heavy duty.. angle is maybe 15 degrees off verticle in front, and less than that in the rear.

15.5" to center front hub
25" to top front body mount/ or bottom of tub mtd front by feet

2.5 super lift spring kit..... very very stiff
1" body lift
33" x 12.5 cooper radial tires 1/4" tread left

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks