High times??

High times??

IOPort51

NOT the voice of reason Jeep-CJ.com
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 cj-5
4.2 W/MC2100 carb, 4.0 head W/3 angle valves,SS Header,TFI ignition with MSB-6 offroad module,CS144 140 amp RPS alternator with remote regulator T-150,d-20,Dana 44 with OX lock and disk brakes. D-30 with Spartin locker,
skyjacker 2.5 lift?nitro shocks,31" BFG A/T off road.8000 lb Warn winch, original owner.=^)

2006 Toyota Tacoma
I was just out in the shop admiring my Hi lift jack.:rolleyes:
anybody have any idea why the base of the jack is such a piece of :dung:??
A pressed metal plate held on with a carter pin? what were they thinking?
Anybody made any note worthy mods to the jack?? I did a bit of selective grinding on the release switch to enable me to lower it with out hitting the switch with the lug wrench, rock, log, what erer is heavy and handy.

second question: how do you carry yours, if you do carry one at all?
How about some pictures on this one??

They have to be the most dangerous things out there.
It scares the :dung: out of me when I have to use one.

I carry the screw type one out of my truck, it goes high enough to get the tire off the ground.

damn IO
I read HIGH times and your name and was YEAH lets see what IO F___up other than got the munchies and destroyed a bag of Doritos

where did you get your lift Harbor Freight or Tractor supply

High lift #484 and the base started life as a piece of 3/16" plate. You must have the high end one.
Regardless, they are both held on with a carter pin.:D

As I think about it I would prefer the plate over the cast, likely to bend rather than crack and break?

My high-lift has a cast base and according to the high-lift parts manual all of their jacks have cast bases,

Hi-Lift Parts & Services - Hi-Lift Jack Parts | Hi Lift Jack Company

My jack does not have any stamped steel parts.

Now that I look at the drawings, maybe they do have a stamped steel version???

The Hi-Lift is the Swiss army knife of off roading. Everyone has to have one. It does 100 jobs with mediocrity but it doesn't do a good job at anything. It doesn't even do a good job of jacking up a vehicle! ! !
Because I have a small CJ5 I carry my Hi-Lift on the back of my jeep. It gets dirty going down the trails. Then I have trouble when I try to use it. I can jack up my jeep fine. But it WILL NOT GO DOWN WHEN I TRY TO LOWER MY JEEP. When I try to lower my Hi-Lift jack I have to hit the spring loaded mechanism with something after each jack motion. I had another Hi-Lift years ago and never had to do this. I wonder if that spring used to be stronger. I know the dirt that gets on my jack is much of the reason my Hi-Lift wont go down properly but if you ask me an off road jack should be meant to get dirty.

The Hi-Lift is the Swiss army knife of off roading. Everyone has to have one. It does 100 jobs with mediocrity but it doesn't do a good job at anything. It doesn't even do a good job of jacking up a vehicle! ! !
Because I have a small CJ5 I carry my Hi-Lift on the back of my jeep. It gets dirty going down the trails. Then I have trouble when I try to use it. I can jack up my jeep fine. But it WILL NOT GO DOWN WHEN I TRY TO LOWER MY JEEP. When I try to lower my Hi-Lift jack I have to hit the spring loaded mechanism with something after each jack motion. I had another Hi-Lift years ago and never had to do this. I wonder if that spring used to be stronger. I know the dirt that gets on my jack is much of the reason my Hi-Lift wont go down properly but if you ask me an off road jack should be meant to get dirty.
x2 the only way to get mine to work right is to spray the :dung: out of it with wd40. They do sell a bigger base that you can put in to when using it.

I have rebuilt my Hi-Lift with the kit but it didn't help.
a64734112fbc8047d17e12_m.jpg

I lubricated it with the lub that Hi Lift sells. I don't want to use too much lubricant. I am thinking oil will only attract more dirt.

Sinse I put winch on mine and put a jack in it to change a flat I don't carry mine on my Jeep any more. The only reason I did before was in cae I got stuck now I have a winch to get out.

The interview with Tommy Chong fell through, sorry.:D
I think I got it at tractor supply or at least a farm supply of some kind or another.
Truth be told I actually bought it to change front tires on my tractor and although it spent lots of time in the back of the J-10 I have never actually carried it in the CJ. I am debating whether it would be an asset off road or not.
I have a 8000 lb Warn and a 15 ton bottle jack that works at any angle. To be honest the high lift has scared the bejeebers out of me every time I found it necessary to use it.:eek:

damn IO
I read HIGH times and your name and was YEAH lets see what IO F___up other than got the munchies and destroyed a bag of Doritos

where did you get your lift Harbor Freight or Tractor supply

I picked up mine from Tractor Supply a few years ago - to use on the tractor. Used it one time on the tractor. When I bought my CJ, it came with a HiLift mounted on the front bumper with U bolts. They held it securely, but I'm thinking, that's gonna be a pain to get loose if I get stuck. I took it off and gave it to my son. Being new to Jeepin', I read in several different forums that the HiLift was an essential piece of equipment when on the trails. My spare tire carrier had a mounting place for it, so I put it on. Base plate rattle nearly drove me nuts. Took it off and tried to secure it inside. Too damn long to fit except where it was in the way of everything else. And it rattled. It's gonna sleep in the barn.

I use the :dung: out of my 60" actual Hi-lift ( not knock-off china junk ) in the garage when working on the jeep and out and about. With big tires and a flexy suspension it is just the right tool for the job. If you need a jack off-road it is sometimes very hard to get one that you have slide under the vehicle to work just where you need it. I have also used it to bend metal, move heavy equipment, etc....

Problem: When you jack up a jeep you really have to raise the bumper high before the tire comes off the ground. This is because of the flex of the suspension.

The old trick to make it easier and safer to jack up is to strap the axle to prevent it from drooping too much as you jack.
131_1012_02_o+131_1012_jeep_axleshaft_trail_fix+ratchet_strap_axle.jpg

One more scary thing to do with a high lift jack.:D

Problem: When you jack up a jeep you really have to raise the bumper high before the tire comes off the ground. This is because of the flex of the suspension.

The old trick to make it easier and safer to jack up is to strap the axle to prevent it from drooping too much as you jack.

Nice tip

To the original question, it stays in the garage unless I think I might need it. Then it usually gets bungied to the front bumper. But I got a new rear bumper / tire carrier that I think I'll fab up a bracket to mount it on for when I take it along.
My Hi-Lift is so old it's orange. Any I've seen lately are the ever common Red. Anyone have the orange colored ones?

My Hi-Lift is so old it's orange. Any I've seen lately are the ever common Red. Anyone have the orange colored ones?

mine is from the mid 70's it's just rust & dirt colored.:laugh:
I've seen so many people either hurt or almost hurt that the only way
I'll use mine is if there is no other way.
and there's always another way.:D

this guy would rather drive up on a rock than use his :D

Attachments

• IMG_2475_901x676.jpg
    IMG_2475_901x676.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_2478_901x676.jpg
    IMG_2478_901x676.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 233

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks