Hgh Lift Jack - to cut or not to cut

Hgh Lift Jack - to cut or not to cut

Hedgehog

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
-1975 Jeep CJ5, 360 V8, Headers, Duel Exhaust,T15 transmission, D-20 Transfer case, Twin Stick Conversion, Warn 8274 Winch
-1951 Willys Wagon, 4 cylinder, "F" head, little rust, very close to stock
Last fall an add on Craigslist brought me a new top of the line high lift Jack. One of those that are not red, but has a powder coat of a hammered grey, a very nice jack with a very nice finish. The thing is 4'-10" tall. A little wide for the CJ5. I've also got an only marginal Jack that is 3'-10" that is a much better fit. My dilemma, do I strip the older jack and use the main beam or do I cut the new one down to a more useable size?

If it were me, I'd look for any other place/way to mount it first. Chances are you'll never need the extra foot, but you'll be pissed the one time you do :pissed:

That is the reason I bought the jack, thinking the extra height would come in handy. Unfortunately the extra length makes for almost no where to mount the thing. My old jack was mounted on the front bumper .... no way this thing will mount up there without a BUNCH of over hang. Across the back the same problem. Lengthwise ... well it's not going in the cab/back. With my "Sport Bar" modification I did make a bunch of mounting points, 3/8" threaded holes in the tubing. Then there's standing the thing up. I never did like the look of a standing High Lift Jack. More looking for decent mounting locations is needed. Any ideas along those lines would be appreciated.

That is the reason I bought the jack, thinking the extra height would come in handy. Unfortunately the extra length makes for almost no where to mount the thing. My old jack was mounted on the front bumper .... no way this thing will mount up there without a BUNCH of over hang. Across the back the same problem. Lengthwise ... well it's not going in the cab/back. With my "Sport Bar" modification I did make a bunch of mounting points, 3/8" threaded holes in the tubing. Then there's standing the thing up. I never did like the look of a standing High Lift Jack. More looking for decent mounting locations is needed. Any ideas along those lines would be appreciated.

Roof Rack!! Ain't like you didn't need another project......:D

Fact is part of the "Sport Bar" mod is a rear rack that would be perfect for a nice small chainsaw and some tools. Unfortunately the jack would stick out both sides of the CJ5.

What kind of spare tire carrier do you have? Mine is the inverted "V" with a centerpost type and I have mine mounted at an angle behind the tire, from the bottom of the "V" on the pass. side to the top of the vertical center post. Just a thought.

Next project in my seemingly never ending front to back rebuild/modify/fabricate journey with the CJ5 is to fabricate a rear bumper, tow hitch, tire, gas-water, possible H-L jack carrier. But first the newly modified "Sport Bar" needs to get some sort of a super durable finish. But before that happens I need to have all the modifications including possible mounting points done. Honestly at this juncture I'm fairly sure all the points are done. This is where an honest evaluation of mounting a H-L is under consideration.

I knew it was close, but last night I measured the total width of my CJ5. She measures just under 5' and the jack is 4'-10". Very close to hanging out on both sides. If the foot is stripped off it's a little shorter. Some mounting options are coming to light. One is to hang the jack under the over hang of my semi-roof basket. That would be a lot of weight up high though.

Mount it on the passenger side as a ballast ;)

:) then where would my ballast go?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks