Help!

Help!
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 all wheel drive.
I need some advice. My Jeep Grand Cherokee won't start after it so warm. After I shut it off, all I get is a clicking sound. After it cools off for 20 or 30mins. it starts right up. I have put a new starter,ignition switch,battery,alternator,belt. And it still does it. Can anyone tell me what it could be? We have cleaned the contacts. Only yhing left to do is change battery cables. But the way Jeep ran them, I don't know where they go or how they are ran. Dodge told me I can run a positive cable to Starter like the old days, But I still don't know how to run everything. HELP ME PLEASE!:confused:

Run the positive to the starter? Only with a starting solenoid.

oI2R058zx-EpJswZ17epfEVldvY9UxlIM9TXRD8uRhFMQM&t=1.png

Test it with a volt meter.

Follow 12v from the battery to the solenoid.

It's a bad starter. That's my bet.
When it fails to start it just makes a clicking sound. A bad battery or a battery that isn't fully charged will also do that but if that was the case then it wouldn't start after it cooled down.
If you follow 73CJ's troubleshooting and I am right you will see 12 volts on the starter when you get the clicking sound. The starter has all the voltage necessary to start the engine but it's bad.

EDIT: did you replace the starter? I lost my bet. Check the voltage on the starter when you have the problem.
I still think its the starter or the solenoid. That clicking sound means its not getting the power to turn over the engine.

Last edited:
I have put two new starters in it. The one thats on it tested out fine. People been telling me it could also be the thermastat is frozen shut and its getting to hot. They told me to it could be the safty/nuteral switch. I wasn't having this problem until Dodge did the recall on it for the enterlock cable. They gonna look at it tomorrow morning and I'm gonna see if they will change the stat for me cause the bolts will probably break if I try to take them out. Thats how my luck runs. Thank you for the response.

Well, I found out what was wrong with my Jeep not starting after it got hot. A ground wire in the distribution center under the hood had a short between it and the ecm. Dodge ran a ground wire from the distribution center to the neg side of battery so it would bypass the ecm. Now it starts perfect. Now i got a new problem. After they installed the new saftey switch and fix the wire, now it won't shift into over drive. They told me my trans was 2 qts low on fluid. So I filled that and it still won't go into overdrive. If it isn't one thing on my Jeep it's another. What could be causeing this problem?

Won't shift into overdrive?
I assume it's an automatic but we still need to know what transmission.
Is there a switch to activate if you want to go into overdrive? Maybe an electrical problem.

Yes there a button to turn over drive off and turn it on. It was working before they had to run a new ground wire for it to start after it got hot. Im taking back to Dodge and making them fix it for free cause it was working before they did what they did to it. Yes its a automatic, but I don't know which trans is in it. I know it's got a 318. This my first Jeep so I don't know much about them.

My overdrive worked before Dodge ran a ground wire from the battery to the distribution center so it would start when it got hot. Thats fixed, but now my over drive doesn't work and when I go 55mph my rpm's are at 2500rpm. What could be theproblem. It has the 328 engine in it. And it's a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. Any ideas would be great. Everything is plugged in on my transmission.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks