HEI Help

HEI Help

moranda

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 Cj 7, 258, t5 tranny, dana 300, dana 30 front ox locker, amc 20 rear one piece axles ox locker, 4.56 gears,hydroboost brakes
Hello All. I have done a fresh rebuild on my 258 and now am trying to get it started up. I have added a Howell TBI kit and a HEI by DUI. When i try to start the jeep it cranks over but never fires up. I am getting fuel to the tbi and timing is right. I am thinking that it could be the HEI because on cranking i am getting 9.5V. I believe that HEI needs a minimum of 10.5V. If this is the case how would I get more cranking voltage?

How is the HEI wired in? Typically it should get the full 12V

If you have a ballast resister you need to bypass it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have removed all the duraspark wiring and ran 12 gauge wire over to the HEI. I have attached a picture that shows the connection the red with white stripe was hot going into the duraspark ignition, the black wire goes to the HEI and the orange powers the Howell computer.

Attachments

• 20190130_220448.jpg
    20190130_220448.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 59
sounds like you picked up the regular "run" wire for the Duraspark that is coming from the resistor wire. If the voltage on that wire is less than 12V, then you need to pick up 12V switched from somewhere else.

Pull a plug and check for spark, should be blueish in color, if yellow it's weak.
X2 on full 12 volts to the HEI. Run a jumper from the battery to the HEI and see if it will start. Don't leave it on to long as it can burn out the coil pack if the engine doesn't start.

In the run postion i do get 12v at the hei. It is during cranking i am seeing 9.5v. I see this at both the distributor and the battery though. Should i be dropping this many volts at the battery?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

In the run postion i do get 12v at the hei. It is during cranking i am seeing 9.5v. I see this at both the distributor and the battery though. Should i be dropping this many volts at the battery?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

9.5v is nothing unusual during cranking only. Anything lower then 9.5 should be investigated.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks