Hei and coil issue

Hei and coil issue

grnmtn

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ7 258 I6, auto, dana 300
:confused::confused: I have am been running the Team Rush with the stock coil. I switched to a Ford e-core coil and the Jeep will run for about 30 seconds and turn off and then restart moments later. I figure the module is getting hot and shutting down. I swapped in a "stealth hei" module with the e-core coil and it now runs about 15 minutes before turning itself off. Any ideas

The Ford E-coil should not have been the cause of your issue. Is it possible that the icm was on its way out before the changeover? Is the stealth icm getting hot also? One thing that can kill an icm is a poor ground.

What is the best way to ground the Icm? Can I splice into the harness/plug and run a wire to the battery post? I put a heat sink on the stealth icm and it's not too hot to touch.

The oem distributor harness/icm is grounded thru the distributor which is not a solid connection, as it is bolted down, from there it makes its way to the battery negative wire on the block. I would suggest as close as you can get to a direct connection to the battery negative terminal as you can get. As far as grounding the Stealth ICM goes, It is grounded at the hold down bolt next to terminal "C", which should have a black wire. I do not think you can install too big of a heat sink either. If it does shut off like you say, the heat could have destroyed the icm also.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks